Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO vs. RadeonSI/RADV & NVIDIA's Linux Drivers To End 2016

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO vs. RadeonSI/RADV & NVIDIA's Linux Drivers To End 2016

Last week I published a 31-way Linux graphics card comparison with an assortment of both NVIDIA GeForce and Radeon graphics cards using the latest Linux drivers. I also published a variety of Vulkan benchmarks. In those tests the open-source Radeon driver stack was used given that's what AMD is endorsing these days for Linux gamers with AMDGPU-PRO not even working on all modern Linux distributions. But for those curious how AMDGPU-PRO compares to those big result data-sets, here are those -PRO results to share today.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Help me out. What's AMD's reasoning for maintaining two seperate driver implementations?

Comment

Well, this is about 70% of the performance for the red team before tha raw-hardware-performance reaches parity with the green team. Looks promising. I'm just a little dissapointed, that the 480 still doesn't show its potantial, while the Fury-support seems to be quite good. I guess, un-spaghetti-ing the code takes quite some time, before we have some sort of unified driver that counts for every card of a certain architecture and not for every single card. May the pasta-magic be with the driver-team!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
        Help me out. What's AMD's reasoning for maintaining two seperate driver implementations?
        Short answer - radeon is open source and strictly kernel level, amdgpu-pro is partially closed source and does some stuff at user level.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
          Because two is better than one, as someone need this, other wanna that

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Short answer - radeon is open source and strictly kernel level, amdgpu-pro is partially closed source and does some stuff at user level.
            wrong answer - the FOSS driver has both kernel level and user level components. PRO driver reuses most of the kernel level component with couple extra patches. PRO driver supports features that FOSS driver does not. Some of those will never be supported by FOSS driver -- like compatibility profiles for OpenGL needed for some tools (mesa only gives you OpenGL 3.0 if you ask for compatibility profile).

Michael what was the LLVM version used? it's not mentioned in the article.

Comment

What I see from these benchmarks is:

. NVidia seems to be better when 4k is involved.
              . Performance seems comparable to windows ratios on full hd when not cpu bound.
              . When cpu bound, nvidia seems to be slightly better.
              . When cpu bound, radeonsi is generally faster than amdgpu-pro.

Comment

What i see from benchmark is that seems bigger GPUs play better with Mesa.

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                . NVidia seems to be better when 4k is involved.
                Where you spot that, at 4K Metro and Portal is faster with Fury than it is nVidia's corespodent card GTX 980... Ignore other cards just look at Fury vs GTX 980

Probably this prove my theory that Mesa likes bigger GPUs, prob is for smaller ones - it is not the same story actually, smaller loose more

edit: not to mention also 4K Xonotic and Tesseract where Fury there once again going faster already than GTX 980
                Last edited by dungeon; 28 December 2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

open amd driver is really good
                  i hope in 2017 it surpasses pro and catches nvidia

Comment

what is the low profile visiontek card at the top left? is it the hd 7750?

Comment

Working...
                    X