AMD MxGPU Virtualization For The AMDGPU Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post
    Also, although the original announcement only mentioned FirePro cards, I'm under the impression that this functionality will eventually find its way to some consumer cards by way of the AMDGPU driver. Or at least I hope that's the case.
    That would be great if that was the case!

Using it, what would be the difference with GVT?

Comment

please let this be something I can use on my R9 380!

Comment

If they can bring this to consumer hardware, i'll be a very happy kid. My r9-290 sits at idle all day and night because the pain of booting windows and letting it install its million updates negates any enjoyment I'd get out of playing games.

This technology in an OS agnostic sense could be a pretty cool selling point to the gamers, if amd could develope something like Nvidias low latency game streaming and combine it with this GPU virtualisation, you could sandbox games and run multiple instances, steaming to corresponding portable devices(laptops etc). Something ive been wanting to do for a loooooong time but the technology just isnt there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

That would be great if that was the case!

Using it, what would be the difference with GVT?
          The major difference is that GVT is a pure software solution while AMD's approach (using SR-IOV) is a hardware based one.

For that reason I doubt you will find this soon in consumer cards.

Comment

Originally posted by wpoely86 View Post

The major difference is that GVT is a pure software solution while AMD's approach (using SR-IOV) is a hardware based one.

Ooooooh ;/

What's the benefit of the hardware approach? less loss?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              Ooooooh ;/

What's the benefit of the hardware approach? less loss?
              Less overhead, and fewer changes to drivers.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Less overhead, and fewer changes to drivers.
                I see.
                As a user of non pro cards I still find it sad though

Comment

GVT-g isn't a pure a software solution. Rather, "Intel GVT-g offers a full GPU virtualization approach with mediated pass-through support for Intel Processor Graphics ... starting with 4th generation Intel Core processors." That is, unlike the Virgil 3d project (which is better described as a pure a software solution), GVT-g won't work without supporting hardware.

But yes, given the complexity of SR-IOV, you are probably correct that AMD's approach won't soon find its way into consumer cards. However, that AMD is attempting to upstream this feature into the AMDGPU driver, and not just retaining it in the AMDGPU-Pro driver, gives me hope that we may actually be surprised in a year or so. Or at least I hope that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    looks like it is 1) for linux guests and 2) for firepro
                    That is true, it is almost certainly a business/enterprise feature only.
                    I could see it brought to consumers in a limited way though if deemed valuable enough to the consumer : support the feature, with only one virtualized guest supported. I don't know if you can mix the host and guests, if so ability to run host graphics + one single guest would be absolutely perfect. If only guests can run, having only one would be useful if that makes it easier to use a dedicated GPU.

The reasoning behind this is there are some "enterprise" features present in consumer products but watered down in that way. For example, game streaming (I don't know the marketing names from the top of my head) is allowed, but just for a web video stream or for one user playing from the couch, not for allowing four players to remote play from the same PC.
                    Windows Pro (sort of a consumer desktop OS, "Enterprise" and other higher versions not needed) allows to use the Remote Desktop feature, but for only one user, not 20 users at once.

Comment

Oh, I followed a link from the front page to arrive here and didn't realize the news and thread were months old.

Comment

Working...
                      X