Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Lucky With An AMD GCN Graphics Card For Just $15 USD

Phoronix: Getting Lucky With An AMD GCN Graphics Card For Just $15 USD

A Phoronix reader pointed out an AMD AIB partner selling "mystery box" refurbished graphics cards from $5 to $15 USD, so I decided to give it a go and see what cards I would receive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just out of curiosity, could you test both of the new graphics cards? I mean, you have them so you have to test them now :3 I kinda want to see how much faster my RX 480 is. I would have been drooling over a HD 4890 back in the day...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      Just out of curiosity, could you test both of the new graphics cards? I mean, you have them so you have to test them now :3 I kinda want to see how much faster my RX 480 is. I would have been drooling over a HD 4890 back in the day...
      I will definitely be using the HD 7750 in my GCN 1.0 AMDGPU/-PRO/Radeon tests. For end-of-year I may do one of my every year or two articles of testing my mass collection of cards going back until the stack breaks articles, in which the HD 4890 would then be tested.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yay! Finally a Cape Verde that I can compare my notebook to! :-D

Comment

Michael, sounds like you might offer your own "mystery box" deal....

Comment

Originally posted by Noee View Post
            Michael, sounds like you might offer your own "mystery box" deal....
            Unfortunately, he's one of very few hardware reviewers who has a reason to go back and use older hardware. Though he could probably ditch some of his old CPUs and motherboards - basically anything older than Nehalem or Bulldozer he could get rid of.

As for GPUs, he could probably get rid of anything that will likely never see support ever again (at least nothing interesting enough to warrant benchmarks), such as any GPUs integrated in motherboards, or GPUs that don't support OpenGL 3.x.

Most of these things aren't really worth anything to anyone these days. I'm not sure if he'd really profit at all; he'd probably be better off just recycling them.

Comment

I'm late, but there are 2 typos:

[​​​​QUOTE=phoronix;n918033]
              These are graphics cards refrubished by the company with $5 for your choice of a refuribhsed PCI or PCI-E mystery GPU
              [/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                I'm late, but there are 2 typos:

[​​​​QUOTE=phoronix;n918033]
                These are graphics cards refrubished by the company with $5 for your choice of a refuribhsed PCI or PCI-E mystery GPU
                [/QUOTE]

Embarrassing, sorry, not sure how I didn't notice those. Fixed, thanks.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I thought it was a beer joke
                  Test signature

Comment

How do I get info about shipping to my country?

Comment

Working...
                    X