20-Way NVIDIA/AMD GPU Darktable OpenCL Photography Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

No, they are HEAVELY multithreaded. Lots of CPUs take more than a minute for the "boat" test.
    Ok, maybe Michael could edit the article to mention this? Along with the number of threads used.

Comment

Would it be unfair to say that AMD is better GPU if you work on a graphic related jobs, and NVIDIA better if you play Video games?

Comment

it would be nice to have a comparison of some Intel CPUs vs. their GPUs with beignet

Comment

Originally posted by Jahimself View Post
          Would it be unfair to say that AMD is better GPU if you work on a graphic related jobs, and NVIDIA better if you play Video games?
          I think the main thing one cay say for sure is that OpenCL is pretty much a second-class citizen for Nvidia, they prioritize CUDA much more (in terms of performance, tooling, etc).

Comment

Thanks for including only the CPU results. Makes the graphs much more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahimself View Post
              It is unfair, because 'better' is very relative:
              - For some 'better' means faster, no matter the cost
              - For others, it means bang for buck
              - For others, Open Source drivers...

It all depends on what you're looking for...

Comment

Nice.
                Perhaps once Gimp 2.10 is ready could be made another OpenCL test for it.

Comment

Originally posted by twoertwein View Post
                  it would be nice to have a comparison of some Intel CPUs vs. their GPUs with beignet
                  Darktable reports for my HD520 on my laptop CPU: OpenCL found, unknown GPU - and abandons OpenCL support.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Darktable reports for my HD520 on my laptop CPU: OpenCL found, unknown GPU - and abandons OpenCL support.
                    strange, why should darktable care about the type of GPU? As far as I know, darktable tests whether the GPU has enough memory and whether it is fast enough. Based on that it may disable OpenCL support. I have an old Intel HD 4000, which is slower than the CPU

Comment

Originally posted by twoertwein View Post

strange, why should darktable care about the type of GPU? As far as I know, darktable tests whether the GPU has enough memory and whether it is fast enough. Based on that it may disable OpenCL support. I have an old Intel HD 4000, which is slower than the CPU
                      That's the output:

[opencl_init] opencl library 'libOpenCL.so.1' found on your system and loaded
                      unknown GPU generation
                      [opencl_init] found 1 platform
                      [opencl_init] could not get device id size: -1
                      [opencl_init] found 0 device
                      [opencl_init] FINALLY: opencl is NOT AVAILABLE on this system.

Comment

Working...
                      X