Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LLVM 4.0 Causes Slow Performance For RadeonSI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM 4.0 Causes Slow Performance For RadeonSI?

Phoronix: LLVM 4.0 Causes Slow Performance For RadeonSI?

Several times in the past few weeks I've heard Phoronix readers claim the LLVM 4.0 SVN code causes "slow performance" or has rendering issues. Yet it's gone on for weeks and I haven't seen such myself, so I decided to run some definitive tests at least for the OpenGL games most relevant to our benchmarking here...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...MDGPU-RadeonSI

I like your "as long as the card is in the system I might as well..." thinking

Interesting that the only non-trivial slowdown was on Deus Ex:MD

Comment

I had slowdowns with Mesa 13 git + LLVM 4 as well. I have no idea if they're caused by LLVM itself but at least the only happened when LLVM 4 was installed while 3.9 were fine.

​​Does LLVM interact with anything but Mesa?

Comment

By definition, what you can't reproduce does not happen ... on other ~100 asics, ~300 distros, ~3000 games, etc. variance

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
          ​​Does LLVM interact with anything but Mesa?
          It interacts with Apple Sometimes they break something, sometimes CL guys break GL and sometimes GL guys overplayed with it, etc...

Comment

There is definitely a rendering difference between mesa 13 and git with Deus Ex MD, no idea if it's LLVM related. On git you get black areas in certain places, like Jensens hair in the augmentation menu, in the skybox of the last level and with SSAO enabled there are black patches that sort of spread out gradually across the scene in certain areas (Padoka PPA, Ubuntu). With Mesa 13, LLVM 3.9 in Arch it all renders fine.

Comment

why ppl don't use the stable version?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                Because radeonsi is in a major, almost daily, catch-up mode.
                Once it gets to barely improving performance/features I'm sure many of us will switch back to stable.

Comment

I'm happy that most patches make it into the stable branch quite quickly. At the moment I'm also using the dev package - most of the time the result is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    It actually easier to install the padoka/oibaf ppa's than the stable release!

Comment

Working...
                    X