No announcement yet.

GTX 1060 vs. RX 480 - The ~$200 GPU Decision For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hardcore gamer would not worry about HDMI/DP audio IMHO. Gamers worry about Freesync, just because it's not mainlined is no reason for a Linux Gamer to complain.

That would be a show-stopper for me if I were a routine Linux gamer since I use HDMI or DisplayPort audio with all of my setups and no longer use any external speakers.

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

If you think that when you have digital path to multi channel amp and then you have crappy speakers that is somewhat modern. My 23 year old B&W DM 601S2 speakers are still the state of the art bookshelf speakers that fits nicely to the desk too. And I am using old Yamaha RX300 as stereo amp. To turn the signal path to digital does cost 68 usd.

Well, state of art in Ukraine is something like state of art was in US way back in like the 70's. So I don't think state of art for you is a bragging point.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Well, state of art in Ukraine is something like state of art was in US way back in like the 70's. So I don't think state of art for you is a bragging point.
        EDIT: Freakin love Cerwin Vega
        http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/sl-series.html.

These are what I use. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I listen to audio on tv speakers. That isn't true, just one more thing you made up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
          It's in this thread by several different people! Every time an article comparing AMD to Nvidia is posted on this site, people come out of the woodworks. Look at all of the people complaining that he should have chose the AMD card despite the driver/performance issues because they are improving it, or they have seen improvements over the last few years.
          Yep, that's fair, but I don't think we (AMD & employees) have ever said that... and that's the claim I was pushing back on.

Our message has always been that you should make decisions based on current state of drivers, not some future state. The only exception would be where newer/better drivers are already available upstream but have not yet made it into the customer's specific distro release.
          Last edited by bridgman; 21 November 2016, 12:15 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

• I don't understand why having DAL upstream or not is the crux of this argument. The nvidia proprietary driver is not upstream and never will be. If you need the features supported by DAL, the source code is available. If you'd prefer a packaged release, you can use the pro packages which include DAL support.

Comment

• Originally posted by exr99 View Post
              But what I noticed is, the GPU is at 42°C when just browsing the net, reading mails or editing some files using Atom. Doing the same in Windows leaves the card at about 31°C, so I kept an eye on the clock rates. In Linux, opening a new tab in the browser or editor, launching a new application or only scrolling some content in a window causes the GPU to burst to its maximum clock rate and hover there for a minute, before it drops back to its idle rates.
              It could also be due to differences in CPU power savings (possibly higher ambient temperature affecting the GPU).

Comment

• No Nvidia unless they open up. Simple as that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                  Also it's becoming more common to use a HTPC for some couch gaming and an 8 inch card is a lot more relatively capable now than even last year. Keep in mind that graphics without extra power capped out at a 750 which is pretty comparable to the integrated graphics on a chip released this year.
                  Hm, I wouldn't classify Steam Machines and their like as HTPCs... To me, an HTPC is a smart DVR, not a smart console.

Comment

• Maybe a good sales on a RX480 4GB card would help: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...32&ignorebbr=1

199 USD with a 20 USD rebate

Comment

• I grabbed popcorn for this thread to have fun and ended up vomit it.

Comment

Working...
                      X