GTX 1060 vs. RX 480 - The ~$200 GPU Decision For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so to all the haters and naysayers: I don't care
    Strange, I thought this topic was brought up on phoronix so that linux-users could discuss in the forums about their opinion.
    If not, I can see the interesting point in an article of a single individual who "chose" (well, actually was given) a 1060GTX instead a RX480.

Comment

Hey, it's all good. The additional content will be welcome, and Eric's tendency to elaborate on his observations is refreshing and welcome. Although it is probably true that more phoronix readers would be interested if it was a RX480..... Kinda missed the turn there.... But still, more content by a different author is a very good thing. I say if there is anyone unhappy about it then they should contribut articles with their own hardware, Michael has already said he would publish any high quality article that was contributed.

Comment

What ~$200 graphics card would you have picked as a Linux gamer and why? Share your thoughts this weekend with us in the forums.
        If I have to buy a graphic card (whatever the price) I go on AMD because of that.

Comment

Considering Nvidia has been caught lying and cheating for 10+ years now, have gone full blown windows 10 on data mining and personal info collection, bullies the community into getting what they want rather than working with them, has no open source anything... I don't have a fucking clue why people buy their hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post

Strange, I thought this topic was brought up on phoronix so that linux-users could discuss in the forums about their opinion.
            If not, I can see the interesting point in an article of a single individual who "chose" (well, actually was given) a 1060GTX instead a RX480.
            Discuss? I guess you wouldn't know click-bait if it hit you on your head
            There's really nothing to discuss. If supporting open source makes you feel better or you want to try Wayland, you go to AMD. For everything else, Nvidia is the better choice. That's how it is.

Comment

I suppose it depends on your requirements. If you actually want to game on your Linux box and don't mind the closed source driver then Nvidia is clearly the way to go.

Myself, if I actually want to game I use my Windows box because that has a 1070 and is always on. But on Linux, I don't much care for AAA gaming, I'm more interested in having an open driver and seeing the progress of the driver. As that's what interests me I'll stick with AMD. At some point I'll be getting a 480 I imagine to replace my 7970.

I quite like arguing the merits of the different card vendors, their drivers and what it means for Linux. But I wouldn't dream of telling someone else what card they should or shouldn't get. If Eric is happy with the card then I'm glad for him.

Comment

Hi Yall,

my oldie 390x was a trooper in Window$, bar of course, HDMI2. The latter was a pain, as I had to switch between HDMI2 & DP, for 4K glory in Linux. But in Tux, the drivers are an issue and the dam thing outputted way to much heat into my case, regardless of OS. So, the case had to be opened up. Yes, that was with 5x120mm fans.

Now, I have a 1080GTX Founders, that exits all the heat & is Deity Level drivers, in FreeBSD, Window$ & Linux.

ATI/AMD playing catchup with drivers? Now that is a Really Old Story. Perhaps one day, with proper resourcing....

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
                  Considering Nvidia has been caught lying and cheating for 10+ years now, have gone full blown windows 10 on data mining and personal info collection, bullies the community into getting what they want rather than working with them, has no open source anything... I don't have a fucking clue why people buy their hardware.
                  Because it just works (tm). I buy a gfx card to play games and have it give the performance advertized not to push an agenda. I'm an OSS dev myself but this statement makes no sense.

AMD/ATI is borked beyond all repair and has been chasing the tail of nvidia (at least in performance) for the last 10+ years, basically since always.

Newsflash: AMD will never catch up to nvidia in performance and overall driver quality. But keep on dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post

Partially discussion, partially a "Hey Eric is gonna start doing a couple articles again."
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Hey, it's all good. The additional content will be welcome, and Eric's tendency to elaborate on his observations is refreshing and welcome. Although it is probably true that more phoronix readers would be interested if it was a RX480..... Kinda missed the turn there.... But still, more content by a different author is a very good thing. I say if there is anyone unhappy about it then they should contribut articles with their own hardware, Michael has already said he would publish any high quality article that was contributed.
                      I might still pick up an RX480 in the future, that or I'll wait for Vega and see what happens there. Going from an R9 290 to an RX480 really -is- a side upgrade, and its a bit of a downgrade since DAL isnt merged yet.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X