No announcement yet.

Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 512MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aside: One thing I did with both NV cards that did not work well with ati chip is to enable the OpenGL for verticle sync option. I haven't tried without it so it may be important (or not).
    This helps, but only if you disable Compiz and use OpenGL for output (i.e. not xv).

Comment

Originally posted by sloggerKhan View Post
      I don't think this has an effect on the nVidia binary driver, which as I understand it, doesn't follow the standard methods/procedures in their driver.

However, for ATI, it certainly applies. With compiz the opengl overlay on my x700 has massive screen flicker.
      Yes, it does apply to the blob as well.

Comment

Originally posted by liels View Post
        Had a combo mythbe/fe with an NV 7800GS, great video quality. I built a dedicated mythfe on a 780G/Radeon 3200 microATX board. I had tearing; I didn't even know what that ugly line was until I did a weeks worth of research and combed through these forums.

Like deanjo I put a cheap fanless NV card in (7200GS I think) and presto, great video quality on the mythfe.

So right now I'm pretty annoyed at the suggestion that ATI/AMD video hardware is appropriate for linux HTPC use. I think it is totaly fair and understandable that ATI has the vsync feature low on their prority list (or they are hoping the OSS driver will implement it or whatever); I just think that linux information on the ATI hardware should be pretty clear that there are several applications it won't work well for.

Aside: One thing I did with both NV cards that did not work well with ati chip is to enable the OpenGL for verticle sync option. I haven't tried without it so it may be important (or not).
        I have a desktop that is a MythTV backend/frontend (generally just the backend) and a dedicated frontend upstairs. The be/fe desktop has an x1900GT and it *did* have tearing problems but does not any more and has not for a few driver revisions. The image quality is excellent. My frontend has a fanless NVIDIA 6200 PCI card (since the machine is an old i810 board and i810s are all sans AGP slot) and it has a decent image as well, although I have to use Xvideo to get stutter-free playback (XvMC stutters at first.)

So my experience is that both makers have decent hardware for HTPC uses, or at least NV44 and R580 gear works nicely. The R580 has the edge in image quality outputting to a CRT TV while the NV44 card is really more appropriate for an HTPC due to it being fanless and small (R580s are large, rather warm cards.)

Comment

Hi,

does anybody know, if the 4670 is supported by OpenSolaris ?

thx

Opteron

Comment

Originally posted by Opteron View Post
            Hi,

does anybody know, if the 4670 is supported by OpenSolaris ?

thx

Opteron
            The fglrx driver isn't supported on OpenSolaris. The only way to gain support on OpenSolaris would be building xf86-video-ati or xf86-video-radeonhd from source and there you'll be without any acceleration.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              The fglrx driver isn't supported on OpenSolaris. The only way to gain support on OpenSolaris would be building xf86-video-ati or xf86-video-radeonhd from source and there you'll be without any acceleration.
              What do you mean by "acceleration" ? 2D, 3D or both ?

So far I would be happy just with 2D, better than nothing ;-)

I searched myself a little bit on phoronix, it seems like there is a RadeonHD Port for Solaris:
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But RadeonHD itself has some issues with the 4670:
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well I'll wait and see what kind of RadeonHD will be included in the 2008.11 OpenSolaris release ...

thx for the answer

Opteron

Comment

There is only one graphics engine in the HD2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx parts -- a unified shader 3D block -- so 2D, video and 3D acceleration all more or less come together. That is why you aren't seeing 2D, then video, then 3D spread out over time like we did with previous chip generations.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  There is only one graphics engine in the HD2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx parts -- a unified shader 3D block -- so 2D, video and 3D acceleration all more or less come together. That is why you aren't seeing 2D, then video, then 3D spread out over time like we did with previous chip generations.
                  Ah interesting, thx for explanation
                  I guess I'll go with the 4670 and wait for the RadeonHD Team to fix the current problems. To me it seems not to be overcomplicated. According to the article posted above it works, just the DVI Output does not function.

cheers

Opteron

Comment

Working...
                  X