Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux support for GPU for dual 4k monitors

Hi.

I will be switching from windows to Linux because I work mostly on that nowadays and VMs are killing me. I would also like to buy one or two of those cheap Korean 4k monitors and I need to change my GPU to drive them. So my question is how are newest amd (rx460, maybe 470) and nvidia (starting with 1050) handling hidpi screens on Linux? Are drivers working? Does the card matter or is it only software thing? Do any of you use similar setup? Or maybe at phronix you have access to 4k display? I am interested in desktop/workstation workload, programming, no cuda/openCL.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Hi.

You tested dual 4k? Because I know it is easy to handle dual displays on Linux - I have done that in the past. I have some concerns about 4k panels. HiDPI, gui scaling, drivers etc. For example amd have brand new drivers - how they handle HiDPI ?

Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      I do not have.
      Good for you I also like that tune. But lets stick to the topic. Did you test dual 4k ?

Have a nice day.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

The 1050 TI works just fine, but keep in mind that driver support for the newer cards is very new and will have bugs.

Comment

Thank you TheLexMachine . I was thinking more about r460 but I am reading on the internet that HiDPI is fine there also.

Comment

If the AMD drivers are solid, go with that, but I stick with Nvidia because they are pretty solid. If you are okay with the idea of a new system and can spend the money, you should look at the new Gigabyte Brix Pro systems. They have quad-core Intel CPUs and quad-displays w/4 4K DP outputs from Nvidia GPUs.

Features Latest Intel® 6th generation Core Processors Ultra compact PC design at only 2.0L (300 x 230 x 30mm) Discrete Graphic GeForce® GTX 950 2 x M.2 SSD ...

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                If the AMD drivers are solid, go with that, but I stick with Nvidia because they are pretty solid.
                That is the point :/ No clue about drivers :/
                Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                If you are okay with the idea of a new system and can spend the money
                I have dual xeon system with 128gb ram so I am good there - only need to update GPU.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
                X