Deus Ex: Mankind Divided NVIDIA Linux Benchmarks - 13-Way GPU Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Yes, it's confirmed that a Vulkan port will happen in 2017 and that it's not this game, which will remain OpenGL only.
    Did they really promise it? As far as i remember they said that they were considering it, but no promise.

EDIT: Their exact words were that they "are looking towards Vulkan implementation in the first half of next year."

I didn't expect this so soon, but it looks like early next year we may have a Linux port from Feral Interactive that uses Vulkan. UPDATED with the actual full quote.
    Last edited by johanb; 04 November 2016, 08:33 AM. Reason: Added edit

Comment

Crap, like always. Porting this to OpenGL is a nonsense. I'm not the masochist to play this on linux.

Comment

The results aren't THAT horribly far off the Windows version:

Ultra Quality. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has some pretty big shoes to fill. As one of 2016's most hyped games, and sequel to the excellent Human Revolution, it's a...

Linux actually seems a little faster on average. At 1080p, Ultra:

Windows:
        970: 22
        980 Ti: 44
        1070: 46
        1080: 62

Linux:
        970: 27.7
        980 Ti: 36.90
        1070: 41.40
        1080: 50.60

970 is outright faster, 980 Ti is close. 10x0 series cards are likely due to driver not being optimized on Linux yet, rather then the ports performance.

At 1440p:

Windows:
        970: 17
        980 Ti: 32
        1070: 33
        1080: 43

Linux:
        970: 26.4
        980 Ti: 35
        1070: 38.40
        1080: 46.80

At 1440p, Linux is faster then Windows for all four cards, though all are within a few FPS. Not sure why the 970 is consistently faster on Linux (Windows driver issue?), by a significant amount at 1440p.

Overall, performance is more or less comparable at higher resolutions. The real question should be "Why is Linux slower at 1080p"? Seems to be a botlteneck outside the GPU subsystem to me, otherwise the 1440p (more GPU bottlenecked) would also be slower.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
          At 1080p, Ultra:

970 is outright faster.
          Ha, ha, you couldn't pick worse example ... that card/settings probably goes out of 3.5 GB VRAM there

Comment

The results aren't THAT horribly far off the Windows version:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1235-...rks/page4.html
            Very interesting comparison, though there are 2 issues with this:
            1. The game and/or Nvidia drivers (on Windows) have probably been improved since the end of August.
            2. Those are the results of DX11. This does clearly show that OpenGL is competitive to DX11, but it doesn't show how much better the game can perform via DX12/Vulkan.

Regardless, the results you compared show that Feral did in fact do a pretty decent job with their port.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Did they really promise it? As far as i remember they said that they were considering it, but no promise.

EDIT: Their exact words were that they "are looking towards Vulkan implementation in the first half of next year."

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...t-updated.8418
              Hello, I can confirm that we will not be doing a Vulkan version of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. We haven't announced our first Vulkan game yet, but we'll keep you up to date.

Comment

The real question should be "Why is Linux slower at 1080p"?
                Because on lower resolutions you can better spot API overhead and CPU overhead, on bigger you need more VRAM and also GPU bound came first.

Comment

For the above chart we use the new Titan X so that the game can utilize whatever it needs memory wise, as this graphics card has 12 GB of graphics memory available. One of the problems with the overall performance at Very HIGH and ULTRA quality settings is simple, the game LOVES VRAM memory and eats away more then 4GB of graphics memory real fast. However if you look at high quality settings (or lower) then the will cards remain under 4 GB usage. Not a surprize that we advise this to be the sweet-spot quality settigns eh ? As you can see in Ultra Quality settings in Ultra HD, we are hovering at 5500 MB of graphics memory utilized.
                  Concluding

Up-to High Quality settings the game is reasonable well to play at 1080P and 1440P. For Ultra HD and/or Ultra quality settings the game starts to load up high resolution textures and yeah things just get exorbitantly difficult for any graphics card. My advise is simply stick to High quality settings with modern graphics cards up-to 4GB of VRAM. Regardless, any decent and modern enough graphics card will have no problem running the game at High quality settings. But again Very High and Ultra however are a massive challenge.
                  We take a look at Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for the PC in our usual tech savvy articles. We'll test the game on the PC platform relative towards graphics card performance with the latest AMD/NVIDIA ...

So now test 680 2GB and even that GTX 970 real 3.5GB on Ultra... well you can do it but only if you want to got invalid results

Comment

Originally posted by jith_feral View Post
                    Hello, I can confirm that we will not be doing a Vulkan version of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. We haven't announced our first Vulkan game yet, but we'll keep you up to date.
                    Thanks for the clarification. The original quote taken out of its context spread some confusion.

I'm looking forward to see mesa compatibility and your first Vulkan title

Comment

Originally posted by jith_feral View Post

Just in case you take too much attention on critics here: a lot of people like me really thank you for porting games to Linux.

I hope the business goes well for Feral so we can get more titles!

Comment

Working...
                      X