This Mini $109 GTX 1050 Might Be Great For A HTPC / Living Room Steam Linux PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

What is the current threshold for "mini" ? There are a couple of single-fan 460's on newegg.com (MSI, XFX) for $109 and one of them is 6.77" long - although I'm not 100% sure that measurement is correct since a similar-looking XFX card is ~9" long (??!!). They are 2GB though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-028-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-780-_-Product

Maybe the dimensions for the second (XFX) card includes the box
    I believe the limit for a mini-ITX VGA card is 17 cm, the same of the supporting motherboard. Some mini-ITX cases actually can support a a slightly long card. My cube case can take a 21 cm card.

Comment

I believe there is a shortage of modern low/mid-range, low-profile, single-slot card. The last good one was the HD 7770.

Probably the market is very small, since the manufacturers do not apear be interested, because modern APUs from AMD and Intel killed the low-end GPU market.

The other reason probably is that the SFF, low profile chassis are a enterprise thing, and the consumer market buy cases in more voluminous formats, like the cube format, that always have space for double-slot cards.

Comment

I am hoping nVidia puts out a Quadro version with a three pin mini-DIN 3DVision stereo connector. Other cards with that feature are either old or pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          I believe there is a shortage of modern low/mid-range, low-profile, single-slot card.
          YES!!!! YESSS!!!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!11111!

Even just single-slot, not necessarily just low-profile.

Probably the market is very small, since the manufacturers do not apear be interested, because modern APUs from AMD and Intel killed the low-end GPU market.
          Sadly, yes.

The other reason probably is that the SFF, low profile chassis are a enterprise thing, and the consumer market buy cases in more voluminous formats, like the cube format, that always have space for double-slot cards.
          Well, SFF is common in OEM desktops too, but most people buying a OEM PC are looking for laptops nowadays.

Those in the PC parts market tend to get cube-ish cases, yes, but that's not "consumer" market. People assembling their own PCs are a notch above the average "consumer" in the PC market.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalCowboy View Post
            I am hoping nVidia puts out a Quadro version with a three pin mini-DIN 3DVision stereo connector. Other cards with that feature are either old or pricey.
            I thought Quadros were also all either VERY old or VERY pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I thought Quadros were also all either VERY old or VERY pricey.
              They're either workstation or enterprise GPUs, of course they're expensive. Same can be said about FirePro and Matrox GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

The outputs require use of two slots and there is no way around that without changing the HDMI and DP to mini ports and dropping the DVI.
                Even if the outside bracket needs (really?) to be 2 slots wide, that doesn't mean the cooler should occupy an extra slot as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                  The outputs require use of two slots and there is no way around that without changing the HDMI and DP to mini ports and dropping the DVI.
                  I actually just came to a realization - what you mentioned is no excuse. There are many GPUs that are low-profile compatible, where there are display connectors that are not soldered to the board; they're attached via a ribbon cable. When using low-profile brackets, you end up needing 2 brackets to use the extra display connector, if you so choose to do so. Here's an example of what I mean:
                  Newegg is proud to offer United States the best prices, fast shipping and top-rated customer service for Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics and more!

Comment

Dear Nvidia, if you want to make a really good HTPC (non-gaming) desktop card, make it:
                    - small (single slot and/or dual slot passively-cooled, not too long)
                    - use a core from the latest gen with latest PureVideo/VDPAU (not rebadged or rebranded Fermi/Kepler/Maxwell)
                    - cheaper (closer to $80 off the web, $100 on a brick and mortar store shelf)

Nvidia doesn't seem to want to do that though. Not enough profit margin, I guess.
                    I'm not going to hold my breath for an awesome Pascal-based GT1040.
                    Last edited by DanL; 25 October 2016, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I'm more interested in what kind of card AMD could do at this form factor. AMDGPU and MESA will keep in in AMD GPU camp for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                      X