This Mini $109 GTX 1050 Might Be Great For A HTPC / Living Room Steam Linux PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    To the poster objecting the use of legacy DVI ports, over 15 million monitors were sold with DVI ports, with the preponderance of them lasting longer than the PC itself. So we will still see DVI for a few more years. I concur they use too much slot space.
    To the poster that cannot seem to be able to multiquote manually:
    HDMI -> DVI adapters are like 3$ on the open market and work 100% fine as the ones designing HDMI made it so. Displayport ->whatever adapters also exist and cost like 15$.

So the design compromises that are needed to run current gen GPU's in smaller form factors are significant.
    Let's not confuse the "OEMs don't place a powerful PSU in a office PC box" with "It's hard to run in a SFF". You can find 250 watt PSUs for most SFF if they aren't using custom affairs. (I mean flex-atx and another psu format I don't remember with the fan protruding from the case)

So LP's with dual slots but no power plug, usually run hot due to the number of VRM's & caps managing limited bus power. The ones that use single slots w/ passive heat sinks have been turned way down in capability to reduce the BTU's.
    If you look, most workstation cards (bigass FirePro) are single slot with fan, sadly they are horribly expensive for a consumer.

Some SFF's tried to compensate by providing a full DP port (instead of DVI), but the market penetration of monitors with DP connectors is limited to Apple and high end displays. Who wants to spend dough on a DP LCD just to show an Intel GMA?
    There are adapters, btw.

Hopefully soon, we can settle down on something. At the moment Mini-DP is what they are trying. If/when Intel puts video on Thunderbolt by default for their GMA, then another silly round of connectors will start again.
    FYI: Intel iGPUs stopped using "GMA" in the name like 4 years ago, and for more recent ones it actually makes sense to use non-shit connectors as the iGPU can actually drive a 4k screen (not for gaming of course).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      If you look, most workstation cards (bigass FirePro) are single slot with fan, sadly they are horribly expensive for a consumer.
      That's mainly due to usage pattern. Consumer cards are for games, where you launch Crysis 3, and your GTX 750 is brought to its knees pegged at 100% for 3 hours straight. CAD/CAM is a lot more bursty, and doesn't load the card for such long durations, so it can get away with a smaller cooler.

Secondly, CAD/CAM cards also tend to be in large well ventilated Dell/HP/IBM workstation cases, while gamer cards have to deal with getting crammed into cheapo under-sized consumer peecee's.

Lastly, 40 db is considered the ambient noise level in a residential home, while 50 db is the standard for a commercial office setting, so a smaller noisier cooler will be less noticeable in an office environment.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        That's mainly due to usage pattern. Consumer cards are for games, where you launch Crysis 3, and your GTX 750 is brought to its knees pegged at 100% for 3 hours straight. CAD/CAM is a lot more bursty, and doesn't load the card for such long durations, so it can get away with a smaller cooler.
        I have some reservations about that.

Secondly, CAD/CAM cards also tend to be in large well ventilated Dell/HP/IBM workstation cases, while gamer cards have to deal with getting crammed into cheapo under-sized consumer peecee's.
        Still reservations. The workstation card is fully enclosed and dumps heat from the back of the PC, one of the reason they are slim is because you can fit more of them in the same space.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
          i was hoping to get a vega & refurbish my rx480 to my HTPC, but the opensource driver is still incomplete and the closed source forces you to use a specific kernel/distro.

It's still DAL missing (no audio on hdmi!), has problems with hardware hevc decoding, and even noticed problems with simple mpeg2 hardware decoding.
          Tried hard to love AMD, really impressed by the latest accomplishements, but they're still too slow...
          DAL is in this kernel:
          https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...md-staging-4.7

When using wine-staging csmt, I have same average fps in TR 2013 benchmark as in win10, so I would not call my RX460 slow. Only that in win10 the game looks better and min fps is not 1 in the benchmark. Watching movies from DVD works at fullhd. We do not have 4k monitors, so I can not say anything about hevc.

Comment

Working...
          X