NVIDIA 375.10 vs. Linux 4.8 + Mesa 13.1-dev AMD GPU Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Ahh, OK. I think you will find the open drivers have generally caught up with the proprietary drivers for OpenGL, although the -pro stack is still needed for OpenCL.

I'm a bit confused though...

...after years of everyone chanting "kill the proprietary drivers" and us shifting resources to the open drivers (to the point where they compete with closed drivers on GL performance and are catching up on GL features) you are still dinging us over day 1 proprietary driver GL ?
    I agree with you, open source drivers are the way, keeping the work uptodate on proprietary is useless. For those using OpenCL there is the -pro stack, that only a tiny % of users needs.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
      So, if you ay at 1080p or 720p yo do not need more than a 100 USD GPU to play
      It might be even less already, as AMD yesterday cut prices about $10 for RX 460 and RX 470

Why there are not 1050 Ti or AMD equivalent 400 USD Steam Machines with Lutris and links to friv and other goodies pre installed in big picture mode in real competition with XBOX and PS4?
      Because PS4 Pro will be released on november 10 for 400 USD And i don't think you can really buy PC eqavilent with all components for the money... but trolling console will be possible as previously with 750 Ti

Comment

Ahh, OK. I think you will find the open drivers have generally caught up with the proprietary drivers for OpenGL, although the -pro stack is still needed for OpenCL.

I'm a bit confused though...

...after years of everyone chanting "kill the proprietary drivers" and us shifting resources to the open drivers (to the point where they compete with closed drivers on GL performance and are catching up on GL features) you are still dinging us over day 1 proprietary driver GL ?
        Well, it's not polite to answer a question with another question, but until the open source driver can do everything the closed one can, is it a fair substitution? (Ok, you may keep stuff for professional cards in the proprietary drivers forever.) As we can see, neither Vulkan nor OpenCL are a go with the open source driver atm.
        Fwiw, I was never in the "kill the proprietary drivers" camp. I was always in the "give me drivers that work well camp", proprietary or not.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I don't blame Michael at all. He's getting the NVidia cards for free and paying for the AMD ones.

That's smart marketing by NVidia.
          Not sure what you're getting at here.

He has a Fury in the benchmarking results.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Not sure what you're getting at here.

He has a Fury in the benchmarking results.
            I spent $600 to get that Fury...
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I spent $600 to get that Fury...
              Open source friendliness at its best
              Though I hope you made that back in page hits, it would have been nicer if you didn't have take the initial hit.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Well, it's not polite to answer a question with another question, but until the open source driver can do everything the closed one can, is it a fair substitution? (Ok, you may keep stuff for professional cards in the proprietary drivers forever.) As we can see, neither Vulkan nor OpenCL are a go with the open source driver atm.
                For "non-workstation" users I think it is a fair substitution. Vulkan support is primarily there for developers at the moment (although that will change and we need to have Vulkan in the open stack when that happens) and OpenCL is primarily used for apps like Blender rather than typical consumer/gaming uses.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  For those using OpenCL there is the -pro stack, that only a tiny % of users needs.
                  Hey, that doesn't mean that those are happy with OpenCL staying exclusive to the pro stack.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I was never in the "kill the proprietary drivers" camp. I was always in the "give me drivers that work well camp", proprietary or not.
                  I think both will work pretty well together when we saw everyone concentrating on the open OpenCL- and Vulkan capabilities. I really hope for a soon and clear decision.

Comment

For "non-workstation" users I think it is a fair substitution. Vulkan support is primarily there for developers at the moment (although that will change and we need to have Vulkan in the open stack when that happens) and OpenCL is primarily used for apps like Blender rather than typical consumer/gaming uses.
                    Fair enough. Personally, I think Vulkan being so hot right now should not be left behind, but as you say, there aren't many titles taking advantage of it right now. Michael doesn't test it, but is everything in the video department supported in the open source stack as well (i.e. does it offer proper encoding/decoding acceleration, multi-monitor support)?

Comment

Originally posted by zakhrov View Post
                      marek you sound kinda pissed with these results
                      I'm not. Well, I probably need more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                      X