NVIDIA 375.10 vs. Linux 4.8 + Mesa 13.1-dev AMD GPU Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Passso View Post
    On a Windows system the 480 and the 1060 are balanced most of the time and game devs does not seem to help red or green team.
    Well, the 480 would usually be at least ~25% faster than the 1060, even 6% on top of that with an optimal VRAM bandwidth(overclocked VRAM). It is theoretically more an opponent for the 1070 than the 1060.
    In most cases it would be wrong to allege someone to prefer any manufacturer. But with only 1280 ALUs it's much easier to keep the usage high for the 1060. The 480 has the same problems like the 1080 with 2304 / 2560 ALUs. If game and drivers are optimal a 1080 would be exactly twice as fast as a 1060. But this only happens in very rare situations like we see in the Xonotic benchmark.
    For the RX 480 you can look at this as a bureau where you have about 80% more secretaries that are 33% each own. If you don't give all of them work you can't profit from the bigger theoretical power, right?. Well we see the 480's secretaries getting served better by many new games that are currently only available on windows but still not optimally in most cases.
    So the 1080 has about the same clocks like the 1060 so it can't get slower even when you just use 50% all the time. But you can see that it also struggles really often and can't deliver the results it is originally capable of.

Of course the AMDGPU driver is still in an early state lacking many features from the closed source drivers while the Nvidia drivers are more mature when it comes to performance. Though as noted before: I also see a big responsibility in the games themselves for the bad performance as there are many bottlenecks for both GPU brands in form of CPU bottlenecks(cut FPS) and also low GPU usage(Very small performance increase by more ALUs).

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
      about 80% more secretaries that are 33% each own.
      That are about 33% slower. (Unable to edit, sorry)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Hm, how so? Ubuntu 16.10 uses 4.8.x kernel and last release is 4.8 on kernel.org, so?
        That's the exception. Typically Ubuntu ships with one kernel behind the current release. Though you could say in this instance all that's missing is support for the latest kernel, 4.9 is just around the corner. I doubt it will see more love than 4.8.
        Not to mention one of the main points in going open source was speedy and prompt support for newer kernels and X servers (probably Wayland, too). If they didn't deliver on that front, it's your guess how well they've delivered on others.

Comment

Originally posted by zakhrov View Post
          Actually it bounces between the 1060 and a 970 depending on the game and the resolution.
          According to TPU, the 1060 is about 10% faster (less when you go 4k, but neither card is suitable for that). 10% is in the same class imho.

Comment

Real 4K and VR AMD's gaming cards are currently just Pro Duo, Fury/X and Nano. Full Stop. On nVidia side you can start with something powerfull like GTX 1070, etc...

Maybe R9 390, maybe RX 480, those can tackle something i agree... but maybe even can be iGPUs if you plan to play nothing more demanding than Angry Birds

Comment

So, if you ay at 1080p or 720p yo do not need more than a 100 USD GPU to play

Why there are not 1050 Ti or AMD equivalent 400 USD Steam Machines with Lutris and links to friv and other goodies pre installed in big picture mode in real competition with XBOX and PS4?

AMD that also has CPUs would even be able to make a box far better for gaming that the Intel and similar ones and add the Steam Controller or other cheaper and compatible (I think) as the Ipega one.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I'm sure there's a huge amount of work behind those results, but as long as they still can't offer day 1 support for Ubuntu (or whatever time-based distro), they're not there yet imho.
                Not sure I understand... those results were *with* day 1 drivers on Ubuntu.

EDIT - sorry, the tests were run with later upstream code but there were solid day 1 drivers included with 16.10.
                Last edited by bridgman; 25 October 2016, 08:21 AM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Not sure I understand... those results were *with* day 1 drivers on Ubuntu.
                  I was talking about your proprietary drivers. For (sort of) top-notch performance or OpenCL, users still need those.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    I was talking about your proprietary drivers. For (sort of) top-notch performance or OpenCL, users still need those.
                    Ahh, OK. I think you will find the open drivers have generally caught up with the proprietary drivers for OpenGL, although the -pro stack is still needed for OpenCL.

I'm a bit confused though...

...after years of everyone chanting "kill the proprietary drivers" and us shifting resources to the open drivers (to the point where they compete with closed drivers on GL performance and are catching up on GL features) you are still dinging us over day 1 proprietary driver GL ?
                    Last edited by bridgman; 25 October 2016, 08:46 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
                      So, if you ay at 1080p or 720p yo do not need more than a 100 USD GPU to play

Why there are not 1050 Ti or AMD equivalent 400 USD Steam Machines with Lutris and links to friv and other goodies pre installed in big picture mode in real competition with XBOX and PS4?

AMD that also has CPUs would even be able to make a box far better for gaming that the Intel and similar ones and add the Steam Controller or other cheaper and compatible (I think) as the Ipega one.
                      Exactly what I think. Valve could do alone an Intel/Nvidia console Steam machine for 300$ with a giant library competing with the PS4.
                      The same way Nintendo will make a home/mobile 1080p/720p console for 250$ powered by a Tegra X2.

Comment

Working...
                      X