NVIDIA Shows Off Their Latest Linux-Powered AI Car Demonstration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I don't see the problem with it. Nvidia has always had pretty good software engineers. They're really the only individual company that could pull this off. Their Tegra systems are based on ARM, so it's power efficient. Their Tegra GPUs supply more than enough processing power to handle the sensory inputs. They have hardware already used in some modern cars. Their yearly revenue is high enough to afford such a project. There's enough info out there from Google, Audi/Volkswagen, Mercedes, Tesla, and other projects for Nvidia to learn mistakes and hurdles from.
    I believe that the Google car is more advanced that the Nvidia one... but I have the feeling that the Google car software is based on traditional SLAM and robotic control techniques (that rely heavily on lidar and maps) and the Nvidia car is just deep neural networks trained to drive from the images of multiple cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Somehow NVidia and Driving AI just don't sound like they go together in my book. Similar to how Mozilla was working on FirefoxOS.
      They go together: you now can play Project Car and Truck Simulator with your NVidia GPU without touching your keyboard!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Please wake me up when all this fanboyism storm has passed.
        Mind explaining how I'm being a fanboy? All I did was explain why it isn't surprising that Nvidia is working on this.

Wake me up when people like you stop trying to pick arguments with people.

Originally posted by newwen View Post
        I believe that the Google car is more advanced that the Nvidia one... but I have the feeling that the Google car software is based on traditional SLAM and robotic control techniques (that rely heavily on lidar and maps) and the Nvidia car is just deep neural networks trained to drive from the images of multiple cameras.
        I completely agree - I was considering elaborating my point further saying something along the lines of what you said, except you put it better than I would have.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Mind explaining how I'm being a fanboy? All I did was explain why it isn't surprising that Nvidia is working on this.
          You used bold statements like
          They're really the only individual company that could pull this off.

stupid statements like
          Their Tegra systems are based on ARM, so it's power efficient.
          (hint: ARM isn't necessarily more power efficient than x86 or whatever)

total bullshit statements like
          Their Tegra GPUs supply more than enough processing power to handle the sensory inputs.
          (hint: to process so much input in realtime they need much more power than that, heck, they aren't using Tegras in the article above)

wat statements like
          They have hardware already used in some modern cars.
          (hint: so does TI and other 2 big embedded stuff manufacturers, besides their stuff is used for the onboard driver's GUI or for the "onboard tablet", which is another thing alltogether)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            You used bold statements like
            They're really the only individual company that could pull this off.
            So mind explaining who else fits that description? Keep in mind, I said individual company. There are plenty of cooperations that could accomplish this, probably better than Nvidia alone.
            * Intel, Samsung, LG, Broadcom, and VIA don't have a decent enough GPU
            * AMD doesn't have the funding
            * HTC is distracted with Vive
            * Apple depends on other hardware companies to get anything done
            * Qualcomm probably could do it but they don't get involved in the automotive field.
            Microsoft is maybe the only other company that could accomplish a self- driving car by themselves. But like Apple, they too tend to depend on other companies for hardware.

stupid statements like
            Their Tegra systems are based on ARM, so it's power efficient.
            (hint: ARM isn't necessarily more power efficient than x86 or whatever)
            Yes... it is. Why do you think Intel dropped out of the phone market? Why do you think AMD never even attempted it? Why do you think VIA has been failing miserably since ARM got popular? When you get an x86 CPU to be the same power envelope of an ARM, x86 doesn't perform as well. ARM is also inherently more efficient when idle. If x86 was as efficient as you suggest, explain why you almost never see Intel processors in cars.

total bullshit statements like
            Their Tegra GPUs supply more than enough processing power to handle the sensory inputs.
            (hint: to process so much input in realtime they need much more power than that, heck, they aren't using Tegras in the article above)
            First of all, how do you know a [modified] Tegra isn't enough? More often than not, I find you responding to people (not just me) on these forums with estimations that you treat as fact. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're going to disagree with someone, you need evidence. Being confident that you're right doesn't win arguments.
            Anyway, I know they're not using off-the-shelf Tegras, but they're clearly using something loosely based on it, just as Tegra GPUs are loosely based on GeForce.

wat statements like
            They have hardware already used in some modern cars.
            (hint: so does TI and other 2 big embedded stuff manufacturers, besides their stuff is used for the onboard driver's GUI or for the "onboard tablet", which is another thing alltogether)
            Yeah, and? I didn't say nobody else has hardware in other cars. I didn't imply it. My point was Nvidia is already invested in the automotive industry and they have both the funding and technology to accomplish a self-driving car by themselves. How is that so hard to understand? How is that fanboyism? How is that a problem?

For the record, I don't like Nvidia all that much. But unlike you, I look at things with an un-biased perspective. As much as I dislike Nvidia as a company, I respect their accomplishments and I can acknowledge what they're capable of. The last time I spent more than $100 on Nvidia hardware was a 7900GT.

Comment

Working...
            X