Clear Linux Continues To Have Graphics Performance Advantage Over Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g7RbdHRt View Post
    Uh so most benchmark give windows 10 driver a >2 or 3 times performance advantage of linux driver? Is it wise to still follow that goal? When virtualization with gpu-passthrough will give ~10%-30% performance hit? (I'm not sure you can do that with intel graphics tough).

Yeah, but it doesn't run any intel hardware (cpu or graphic) neither it use opengl.

One can hope...
    virtualization? i want to run my app and games in my system i do not use a VM. Intel need to improve the performance of opengl and make vulkan driver works with games, what is the point of vulkan intel driver if nothing works with it?! Last time i check even a simple game like dota 2 (vulkan) won't start

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
      Microsoft didn't tune anything OpenGL wise. Something is funny here. There shouldn't be a reason the Linux driver is multiples slower. I wonder what the actual technical cause is, and not just speculative popularity-of-OS answers...
      ​​​​​
      I mentioned this in the last article, but I'll repeat it here.

There's something wrong with the Intel drivers for Skylake hardware. If you run the same tests on Broadwell, Ivy, etc. they will come out much closer.

The only reason a test like Furmark would run 4 times slower on linux is a driver bug. Something on the Skylake GPU isn't getting enabled correctly, or it's doing a bunch of unnecessary flushes, or something. I favor the first explanation since it runs fine on all other hardware.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 11 August 2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Using Ubuntu as "the standard" for gaming performance seems a bit quaint to me.

Take a tier 1 distro like Debian, Gentoo or Arch mixed with Mesa-git and I'll take a bet that each of the 3 will outperform Ubuntu, especially Gentoo and Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Take a tier 1 distro like Debian, Gentoo or Arch mixed with Mesa-git and I'll take a bet that each of the 3 will outperform Ubuntu, especially Gentoo and Arch.
          Actually in the past the performance has been about the same of Ubuntu vs. Debian/Gentoo/Arch-based distros.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Don't get me wrong I've got a soft spot for Gentoo having previously run it for several years, but it's definitely a niche distribution rather than tier 1.

Comment

I use a GeForce 945M in Optimus. Windows 10 with Unigine Heaven gave me 28.1 FPS, 708 Score, 7.5 Min FPS, and 53.5 Max FPS. Fedora 24 gives me 26.5 FPS, 667 Score, 14.3 Min FPS, and 47.7 Max FPS. Same settings in Unigine Heaven were used. DX11 was used on W10, and naturally OGL was used on Linux. NVIDIA 369.09 was used on W10, and 367.35 was used on Linux. The benchmark difference isn't too bad at all imo. This wasn't a scientific test or anything though; I was doing testing in Windows and just felt like running the benchmark on Linux out of curiosity

Comment

But you know that the defaults are different for Windows and Linux? Check complete settings!

Comment

Who does better coil whine, glxgears vs wglgears - that is the question

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Windows is highly tuned for gaming performance, and Microsoft have the Xbox which runs Windows.

Linux isn't really popular for gaming, it have smaller teams of developers for device drivers for graphics and is not finely tuned for gaming.

It is no surprise that Windows is ahead of Linux in gaming performance.
                    .......Almost all three major consoles for the last couple generations have been AMD-based. Nintendo for over a decade if I recall. PS4 is based on BSD. No matter how hacked up it is, it's still running a multitude of games on linux.
                    Hi

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...chedutil&num=1 Clear Linux doesn't use intel_pstate whereas Ubuntu kernel does. Isnt' it ironic that Intel uses older CPU Freq for its own OS. I have disabled intel_pstate on my Arch install but I keep it stock on my Ubuntu install.

Comment

Working...
                      X