Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Hm, it seems XFX has made a fanless dual-slot card and a single-slot card with fan. Ports are same DVI-HDMI-DP so not optimal, but I'm really leaning towards the single-slot one.

Leave a comment:

• Notavi
    replied
    Originally posted by MVinhas View Post
    GTX750Ti is like 10~15% worse compared to GTX950, so RX460 should be an upgrade ONLY if they improve their drivers. Currently, there is no point to replace a GTX750Ti with a RX460, unless you use Windows.
    True, an RX460 isn't a sensible upgrade yet - though as drivers improve I'm hoping that will change. At any rate, it's not really an option for me yet because there's no low-profile versions released so far and my HTPC / Steam setup uses HDMI audio (which means I need to wait for DAL to land)

Still, with all the improvements AMD have been making lately, it seems like it's a situation worth monitoring.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    Meh, I'm ok with keeping at least one VGA-capable port on a card. I still run my second desktop through a KVM that supports VGA/USB. I still haven't found an ideal 2-4 port HDMI/DP KVM that also supports USB and audio for a reasonable price (or any price, really).
    HDMI/DP->VGA adapters exist, work fine (being a modern digital signal source it's not anywhere near the aggravation it was to convert VGA into say SCART or Composite that required manual settings, it's all handled automatically by a tiny box powered by a USB port), and cost like 5$.

Bolting a DVI port on a GPU is a waste but they do because for them is (much) cheaper than including the adapter with the card, while a DVI->VGA adapter is very very very cheap for them. They basically do it to save a few $ on an adapter, or to avoid the horrible horrible risk of people not buying their product because they would need a sub-10$ adapter for VGA. (HDMI-DVI passive adapters are cheep and that can be covered without issues)

As far as KVMs go, I'm keeping tabs on this project here https://www.nexlab.net/product/rasky/
    It's still on VGA and lacks an audio input (can probably be added as a USB soundcard with mic input on the raspi running the show), but hey, opensource and openhardware.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Meh, I'm ok with keeping at least one VGA-capable port on a card. I still run my second desktop through a KVM that supports VGA/USB. I still haven't found an ideal 2-4 port HDMI/DP KVM that also supports USB and audio for a reasonable price (or any price, really).

Leave a comment:

• atomsymbol
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Its ports complement are the usual ones on crap cards that assume the user will not use more than one screen at a time and that there MUST be a VGA-capable DVI port, so there is a DVI ...
    I agree it is taking too long for VGA to disappear from new products.

A difference between DP and HDMI: HDMI cables can be longer than DP cables.

The future is wireless audio and display of course.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Meanwhile, from starshipeleven's GPU hunting hut....

I have only seen ONE monofan short card so far, XFX Radeon RX 460 OC 2GB. It's still very very meh, and not what I've been looking for.

Its ports complement are the usual ones on crap cards that assume the user will not use more than one screen at a time and that there MUST be a VGA-capable DVI port, so there is a DVI (no please, this is 2016, I can get HDMI/DVI converters for 2$, fuck retrocompatiblity with VGA and stop wasting 2 ports worth of space for this obsolete crap), a HDMI (meh, can bear them), and a single displayport (only port I really want, the only port i can turn into any other port).

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    Originally posted by MVinhas View Post

Sorry Nille_kungen, yes I'm guessing based on [email protected] vs [email protected] If the performance drop remain the same (%), we will see RX460 results near GTX750Ti results.

Once again, this is just guessing work. Hope I'm wrong.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium

I do have a idea to solve this problem.
    We just need a mechanism to send in 0,00000001 BTC per forum post.

for human it is no problem because it costs like nothing but for a spammer bot it makes it way to complicated.
    Phoronix should run on ethereum.

Leave a comment:

• MVinhas
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    Do you have linux benchmarks for the RX460 or are you only guessing but forgot to tell everyone else that you're guessing?
    I haven't seen or tried RX460 yet but with some luck it's well supported by the open source drivers and for some that's enough.
    Sorry Nille_kungen, yes I'm guessing based on [email protected] vs [email protected] If the performance drop remain the same (%), we will see RX460 results near GTX750Ti results.

Once again, this is just guessing work. Hope I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Due to excessive spam by spam bots bypassing our filters with garbage text only to then edit spam into the post, I disabled post editing except for premium members until figuring out a better plugin or solution for fighting the dozens of spam posts daily. So far simply removing editing has got rid of a number of the spam posts.
    You should offer super-premium subscriptions to spammers, $10K a pop...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X