No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 460 Released, Linux Review Later This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh, I'm ok with keeping at least one VGA-capable port on a card. I still run my second desktop through a KVM that supports VGA/USB. I still haven't found an ideal 2-4 port HDMI/DP KVM that also supports USB and audio for a reasonable price (or any price, really).

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Meh, I'm ok with keeping at least one VGA-capable port on a card. I still run my second desktop through a KVM that supports VGA/USB. I still haven't found an ideal 2-4 port HDMI/DP KVM that also supports USB and audio for a reasonable price (or any price, really).
      HDMI/DP->VGA adapters exist, work fine (being a modern digital signal source it's not anywhere near the aggravation it was to convert VGA into say SCART or Composite that required manual settings, it's all handled automatically by a tiny box powered by a USB port), and cost like 5$.

Bolting a DVI port on a GPU is a waste but they do because for them is (much) cheaper than including the adapter with the card, while a DVI->VGA adapter is very very very cheap for them. They basically do it to save a few $ on an adapter, or to avoid the horrible horrible risk of people not buying their product because they would need a sub-10$ adapter for VGA. (HDMI-DVI passive adapters are cheep and that can be covered without issues)

As far as KVMs go, I'm keeping tabs on this project here https://www.nexlab.net/product/rasky/
      It's still on VGA and lacks an audio input (can probably be added as a USB soundcard with mic input on the raspi running the show), but hey, opensource and openhardware.

Comment

Originally posted by MVinhas View Post
        GTX750Ti is like 10~15% worse compared to GTX950, so RX460 should be an upgrade ONLY if they improve their drivers. Currently, there is no point to replace a GTX750Ti with a RX460, unless you use Windows.
        True, an RX460 isn't a sensible upgrade yet - though as drivers improve I'm hoping that will change. At any rate, it's not really an option for me yet because there's no low-profile versions released so far and my HTPC / Steam setup uses HDMI audio (which means I need to wait for DAL to land)

Still, with all the improvements AMD have been making lately, it seems like it's a situation worth monitoring.

Comment

Hm, it seems XFX has made a fanless dual-slot card and a single-slot card with fan. Ports are same DVI-HDMI-DP so not optimal, but I'm really leaning towards the single-slot one.

Comment

Working...
          X