Radeon RX 460 Released, Linux Review Later This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomsymbol

I don't quite understand why the Polaris chips are numbered 10 and 11. The chip architecture is the same except for shader count, no?
    As i understand it the numbers is the order the architectures was developed.

Comment

Does anyone know when the mobile versions of these cards will be released? My current laptop is 8 years old and I'm trying to hold out for this generation of cards for power and performance reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by arboy84 View Post
        Does anyone know when the mobile versions of these cards will be released? My current laptop is 8 years old and I'm trying to hold out for this generation of cards for power and performance reasons.
        Realistically you are going to be waiting until 2017 Q1 for Zen APUs.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          Realistically you are going to be waiting until 2017 Q1 for Zen APUs.
          I believe arboy84 is asking about mobile dGPU, not APU. Generally they tend to quietly start showing up in OEM laptops rather than being formally announced AFAIK. Will ask.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
            I don't quite understand why the Polaris chips are numbered 10 and 11. The chip architecture is the same except for shader count, no?
            10 and 11 are easier to remember than Cape Verde and Pitcairn. Unless you have just finished planning an island vacation, of course.
            Test signature

Comment

I am also with the crowd saying "What the hell are OEMs doing!"
              I want a low power and noise card, preferably singleslot, for ~120 euro to use in HTPC.
              APU would be also acceptable.

Comment

At some point, it'd be cool to see a low profile performance comparison (750Ti vs RX460 vs whatever low profile Pascal card ends up coming out). They're good for small-form-factor media centre / steam box builds (I currently have one that runs on a 750Ti, kinda curious if RX460 would prove to be an upgrade).

Comment

Originally posted by Notavi View Post
                  At some point, it'd be cool to see a low profile performance comparison (750Ti vs RX460 vs whatever low profile Pascal card ends up coming out). They're good for small-form-factor media centre / steam box builds (I currently have one that runs on a 750Ti, kinda curious if RX460 would prove to be an upgrade).
                  I'd like to see a 750Ti vs RX460 comparison as I'm interested in a card that doesn't require additional power in addition to 75W from the PCIe.

Comment

GTX750Ti is like 10~15% worse compared to GTX950, so RX460 should be an upgrade ONLY if they improve their drivers. Currently, there is no point to replace a GTX750Ti with a RX460, unless you use Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Hm, btw if someone spots a short card (like the reference one in the images that isn't longer than the pcie slot) plz let me know.
                      There is no reference card, it was just a mockup.
                      The AIB partners don't seem to be interested in delivering short cards, as seen with the 1060/1070 and 470/480. All of those chips would allow short designs, technically.

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                      That $99 price turned out to be a marketing trick since the real-life cards cost substantially more. On top of that, it looks like all the promises about how the Rx 460 wouldn't need an external power connector were wrong too since every review unit that's out right now requires the 6-pin connector.
                      Sure, apart from that 10+ designs w/o a 6-pin connector...

Comment

Working...
                      X