Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pheldens View Post
    Where are the passively cooled cards?
    Not that likely, at least for now. That's still a 75 watt TDP GPU, you cannot dissipate even 1/3 that if you go fanless (without silly huge heatsinks anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

Polaris 11 is supposed to be able to cover wide span of TDP and corresponding performance. For first models, manufacturers have obviously chosen to go for higher end of that niche- that is more OC etc, for which they feel they would be able to get higher price. I expect for cheaper models to follow.
      You have a source for that or is that just wishful thinking?
      I mean, AMD already a plethora of GPUs in the low end, but most of them are OEM-only.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Not that likely, at least for now. That's still a 75 watt TDP GPU, you cannot dissipate even 1/3 that if you go fanless (without silly huge heatsinks anyway).
        I'm not a cooling expert but my HD4670 at 59W TDP actually cooled better with a Zalman heatsink than it did with the shitty fan it came with. 75W doesn't seem like that much more.

Comment

Also lololololol for 6pin connector on a card with TDP of 75 watts, that's totally required bro, even if they place it it does not mean it is necessary.

Uh... those cards draw considerably more than 75 watts in real-world situations and in order to comply with PCIe and not fry any more motherboards it's pretty obvious why there's a 6-pin connector there: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...60,4707-5.html

Comment

I had a passively cooled nearly 110 W TDP HD3870 (Sapphire Ultimate) and well, it worked. Of course it did have quite a lot of fins and heatpipes and without energy management back in the days in the free driver... uh-oh. ;-)
            But there were even coolers for CPUs up to 95W+ so it's possible, but you won't see it often.
            As long as the card does have a silent and good quality fan I'll also be okay with a non-fanless card.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
              Uh... those cards draw considerably more than 75 watts in real-world situations and in order to comply with PCIe and not fry any more motherboards it's pretty obvious why there's a 6-pin connector there: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...60,4707-5.html
              AFAIK the 75W rating was for reference clocks, but the cards shipping today seem to be mostly factory OC.
              Test signature

Comment

On Windows, better than a GTX950 in DirectX12/Vulkan and worse on DX11/OpenGL. A little disappointing considering that this card will be available in Europe at 140€, more or less.

There is plenty of space for a RX465, one that can compete with GTX960 in DX11/OGL and GTX970 in DX12/Vulkan. Again, this is for Windows. For Linux i suppose that they will perform worse in every scenario, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by MVinhas View Post
                  On Windows, better than a GTX950 in DirectX12/Vulkan and worse on DX11/OpenGL. A little disappointing considering that this card will be available in Europe at 140€, more or less.

There is plenty of space for a RX465, one that can compete with GTX960 in DX11/OGL and GTX970 in DX12/Vulkan. Again, this is for Windows. For Linux i suppose that they will perform worse in every scenario, unfortunately.
                  Judging from Michael's recent 480 benchmarks, only the RX 480 can match a GTX 960 (maybe Superclocked version) with OpenGL and GTX 970 with Vulkan on Linux with most game benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                    Ahem, the article says:
                    "this is Asus' interpretation of the RX 460, which benefits from factory overclocking in our performance charts, but pays the price when we measure power."

Comment

Exactly, that's why I said "on Windows", that way you can know how many potential these babies have.

On Windows benchmarks, the RX480 outperforms GTX970 in DX12/Vulkan and matches GTX970 in DX11/OGL.

Comment

Working...
                      X