Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RX 470 Linux Tests Are Forthcoming

Phoronix: Radeon RX 470 Linux Tests Are Forthcoming

Linux OpenGL/OpenCL/Vulkan benchmarks of the AMD Radeon RX 470 will be published on Phoronix in the days ahead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On the press slides, AMD claimed 1.5x to 2.4x performance gains over the R9 270. Can you throw a R9 270 into the results to see if those claims measure up?

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      On the press slides, AMD claimed 1.5x to 2.4x performance gains over the R9 270. Can you throw a R9 270 into the results to see if those claims measure up?
      Closest I have is a R9 270X or R7 370. The 270X works most of the time but sometimes hits regressions with display issues with the DRM driver.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Uh-oh, prepare for more nvidia biasing! Going to skip the Vulkan tests again?

"Only a few dollars less than the 480"

Cheapest 480 I've found was over $300, so I'm not sure why you're comparing the MSRP of one product to the actual inflated price of another.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
          Cheapest 480 I've found was over $300, so I'm not sure why you're comparing the MSRP of one product to the actual inflated price of another.
          Yes, b/c it is mostly sold out.
          At least, AFAIK, the US prices remained quite stable while in stock. In Europe, they've been above recommendation everywhere. The prices of AIB partners designs have been above that even more, obviously.

RX Series prices are ridiculous, at least in Europe. The revolution marketing campaign is a joke.

BTT: Test isn't really interesting. It is easy to deduce the performance based on how the 480 performs. I wouldn't buy two cards with the same chip (but one being salvage) just for testing. I'd rather see a RX 460 tested, but the release date is still unclear.

Can't wait for Vega, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Closest I have is a R9 270X or R7 370. The 270X works most of the time but sometimes hits regressions with display issues with the DRM driver.
            I have it, can do comparison benchmarks (i5 6600, SSD and some DDR3/4 options, 2x4GB by default). And today I picked up new R9 Fury which price dropped a lot already in some shops - bit more than RX 480 price, just like it performance. That's 40% or bigger price drop.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
              BTT: Test isn't really interesting. It is easy to deduce the performance based on how the 480 performs. I wouldn't buy two cards with the same chip (but one being salvage) just for testing. I'd rather see a RX 460 tested, but the release date is still unclear.
              I wouldn't call it uninteresting, but I agree that the RX 460 would be more interesting. It's going to be released on monday, by the way.

Comment

Although these early benchmarks were Windows games based, a very interesting first look test was done by Thomas Ryan of Semiaccurate.com

Starting today you’ll be able to find AMD’s newly minted Radeon RX 470 graphics card at online retailers for about $180.

The upshot is.....The 4 GB MSI Radeon RX 470 card was on average 97% the performance of the 8 GB Radeon RX 480 Reference card. It was also 30 watts TDP lower than the 480. In particular, the 470 was faster than the 480 in these games.....

Ashes of the Singularity in DirectX 11 and 12 at 101% of 480 speed
                Cities: Skylines - DirectX 12 at 104% of 480 speed
                Battlefield 4 - DirectX 12 at 101% of 480 speed
                Company of Heroes 2 - DirectX 12 at 107% of 480 speed

And in OpenGL and Vulkan.....

Doom 2016 the 470 was 98% as fast as the 480 in OpenGL
                Doom 2016 the 470 was 99% as fast as the 480 in Vulkan

Once again....Windows games only benchmarks......but at appetite wetter none the less until Michael can give us the Linux numbers.

Comment

Also....Semiaccurate stated that the RX 470 could be found for $189 online. I haven't been able to find it yet.....but after a quick look online I have seen a number of RX 480's being sold out at the $199 price range......so I bet the 470s are going to come in at the $189 or lower price point when supplies start to roll in.

Comment

The advantage of RX family release is not their pricing but how they force stock clear / repricing of older generations. They can draw more power, support bit less features, but still - Witcher 3 run normally on my R9 270

Comment

Working...
                    X