Radeon Pro SSG Packs 1TB Of SSD Storage On The Graphics Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juno View Post
    Yeah, I was not talking about the final design (that is unclear to be produced, in case the devkit flops anyway), but the prototype shown.
    Fudzilla is a rumor page, but nowhere as bad as wccftech, they are not full idiots and you should think a few secs before insulting somebody like this. BTW: I was not quoting fudzilla, I was just posting their photo. You can clearly see and deduce by yourself that it is not Polaris.

Confirmation by Robert Hallock himself: https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/757992332583067648
    Yeah, wccftech is bottom of the barrel, but fudzilla isn't that far away from them either. They have been wrong more than right.
    They are both click-bait sites, just in it for ad sales, nothing more. They could care less about the truth.

I was just pointing out that the final specs on this card will not be Fiji.

If Vega has 32 or 64GB of HBM2 + local SSD storage that would be a pretty epic card.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Yes It is if your storage is on a NAS or SAN.

But even if the storage is "local" on the machine : a realistic 3d scene nowadays (for a movie for example) can use several hundreds of GB. The onboard cache (the SSD on the card) will give a transparent caching, preventing CPU usage and PCI bandwidth from/to the card <-> the machine. The "local storage" of the machine will only be used for the resulting file or if the scene needs more than 1TB.
      i read somewhere that one frame? for a movie is like 64GB, that does not fit into 32GB max memory on a graphics card, also the ssd space is also available to the system so you can probably mount it as /my-sexygraphics-ssd

anandtech also has a good write up so does hothardware, you can also watch the youtube video

remember kids, your cpu is always the bottleneck

the dev kit is available now http://radeon.com/siggraph/sign-up/
      but be prepared to fork out a little dosh

Comment

Originally posted by vortex View Post
        Yeah, wccftech is bottom of the barrel, but fudzilla isn't that far away from them either. They have been wrong more than right.
        They are both click-bait sites, just in it for ad sales, nothing more. They could care less about the truth.

I was just pointing out that the final specs on this card will not be Fiji.

If Vega has 32 or 64GB of HBM2 + local SSD storage that would be a pretty epic card.
        Sure, but that's the essence of a rumor-based site. The outcome is they had a picture of the PCB and Anandtech spread wrong info instead. Obviously you shouldn't believe in anything they write, but this picture was a rather safe source

Yes, I agree on that. However, I don't expect 64 GiB of HBM yet. Hynix announced 8Hi stacks for later. They start with 4Hi (4 GiB) stacks in Q3, maybe next year they'll be ready to produce 8Hi. But thas still sums up to "only" 32 GiB with 4 stacks and more seem unrealistic, being size and pad limited.

Comment

This should be a huge boost in speed for, say, Blender Cycles, and Agisoft Photoscan. Both deal with huge uncompressed texture data sets, with Photoscan commonly recommending 64GB of system memory thanks to its need for hundreds of photos for best results.

Comment

Originally posted by wiak View Post

i read somewhere that one frame? for a movie is like 64GB, that does not fit into 32GB max memory on a graphics card, also the ssd space is also available to the system so you can probably mount it as /my-sexygraphics-ssd
            Yes, photorealistic scenes for movies are incredibly complex and storage intensive. It is up to several minutes / frame to be calculated, just multiply by 24 img /s then by 60 for a 1mn "short" scene"

Comment

Working...
            X