Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Introduces The Radeon Pro WX Series

Phoronix: AMD Introduces The Radeon Pro WX Series

NVIDIA used SIGGRAPH 2016 as a launching ground for their Pascal-powered Quadro GPUs while AMD this evening used the event in Anaheim for announcing their new Radeon Pro WX series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wouldn't exactly call an Rx 480 with a higher price tag (which is what the WX 7100 is) a "beast" unless we are talking about power draw numbers.

These cards are OK, but given that Linux doesn't get professionally certified drivers from AMD, I'd just wait for the Rx 480 to come back into stock to buy one if you are really gung ho to keep your case warm.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      I wouldn't exactly call an Rx 480 with a higher price tag (which is what the WX 7100 is) a "beast" unless we are talking about power draw numbers.

These cards are OK, but given that Linux doesn't get professionally certified drivers from AMD, I'd just wait for the Rx 480 to come back into stock to buy one if you are really gung ho to keep your case warm.
      The professional line of cards from both manufacturers are basically always just more quality-focused version of their other cards. The reason this has such a high price tag is because it's probably the closest to perfect it can be coming off of the manufacturing line... and it's companies that are expected to buy it, not individuals. They KNOW they can charge a ridiculous amount.

Comment

OK give me that Radeon Pro SSG, just need to find somewhere those $9999

Comment

chuckula I don't think the Radeon Pro Duo is just an Rx480, or even 2 of them glued together.... using specifications (you know, facts - not beliefs) - it's 128 compute units (the rx 480 has 36, for reference) - using (since it's polaris) the rx 480 (5.3 TFlops), that is in the neighborhood of up to 19Teraflops. It also has 8GB of HBM 4k memory... which is 1 terabyte/second memory bandwidth (rx 480 uses gddr5 @ 256 GB/s). For reference, the Titan X and Quadro P6000 has <= 12 Teraflop/s with <= 460 GB/sec memory bandwidth.

Nvidia's fastest GPU ever got 1 up'd the same day it was announced.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/gr...radeon-pro-duo
          http://www.anandtech.com/show/10140/...radeon-pro-duo

Edit: Whoops, apparently this was released a few months ago and I forgot about it... I just saw radeon pro duo and thought it was the new line.
          Last edited by nevion; 28 July 2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Whats up with 28nm. Given they released 14nm finfet cards its sort of a legacy arch now.

Comment

from the announcement
              "And they are fully compatible with open source software through GPUOpen. Those who want to break boundaries don’t like being tied to proprietary software."

Well, not only the mentioned ones but probably everybody else, but it sounds good.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by nevion View Post
                chuckula I don't think the Radeon Pro Duo is just an Rx480, or even 2 of them glued together.... using specifications (you know, facts - not beliefs) - it's 128 compute units (the rx 480 has 36, for reference) - using (since it's polaris) the rx 480 (5.3 TFlops), that is in the neighborhood of up to 19Teraflops. It also has 8GB of HBM 4k memory... which is 1 terabyte/second memory bandwidth (rx 480 uses gddr5 @ 256 GB/s). For reference, the Titan X and Quadro P6000 has <= 12 Teraflop/s with <= 460 GB/sec memory bandwidth.

Nvidia's fastest GPU ever got 1 up'd the same day it was announced.

No, it's two Fury Xs stuck together (note the 'Duo'); Michael's wrong about it being Polaris-based. Dual-GPU cards are always faster than a single one, with synchronisation and power drawbacks to compensate; Nvidia are still miles ahead in single-GPU performance with the Quadro.

(Still hoping to get an RX4?0 at some point in the future, open drivers are a great selling point).

Comment

Why are you people talking about the Pro Duo? This is about the new Pro WX series, which IS polaris based. There's even a link to a radeon site about it in Michael's article

Comment

Originally posted by nevion View Post
                    chuckula I don't think the Radeon Pro Duo is just an Rx480,
                    Wake up sheeple!
                    Yeah, I never talked about the Radeon Pro Duo (which at $1500 is also overpriced compared to $1300 for two custom GTX-1080s that draw less power and actually have real Linux support).

I talked about the card listed in the link that AMD officially announced. Which is the professionalized version of the Rx 480, nothing more nothing less.

As for "wake up sheeple" I'd recommend taking your own advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X