NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 vs. 760 vs. 960 vs. 1060 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

They're in the same price and performance range, of course they're comparable.
    I was (very) skeptical about the 192bit bus, yet my 660Ti has been doing its job for almost 4 years now.

The 1060 is $300 and the RX 480 is $240 at most. At the lowest the RX 480 is $200 and the 1060 is $250. There's a good $50 difference.

Comment

Why? They're not comparable cards.
      I don't think the word "comparable" means what you think it means. When one wants to compare two cards merely by their power consumption, given both are electrical/electronic and power-consuming devices, then this alone already makes them comparable. It means the devices can be compared to one another - they are comparable - because they share similar, physical properties.

The word "comparable" does not mean both perform equal, or, perhaps perform similar. The word does not imply a specific outcome for a comparison. It merely describes the possibility of a comparison. Likewise is the opposite being used, the word "incomparable", when a comparison appears to be impossible, i.e. if you were to compare a GTX 1060 to a poem (although I am sure many will make the attempt).

It is only thanks to the stupid and fearful nature of common folk when words take on silly meanings beyond their true meaning and results in pointless platitudes such as the one of apples not being comparable to oranges, to which good people like yourself fall victim to. The fear of a comparison favouring one, but not the other, often leads to comparisons where people only attempt to compare what they already believe to be very similar. Apples and oranges can very much be compared to one another, i.e. in terms of weight, shape, calories, vitamins, acidity, taste, and much more.

Perhaps you should have used the word "similar" or "equal" instead.
      Last edited by sdack; 21 July 2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

The 1060 is $300 and the RX 480 is $240 at most. At the lowest the RX 480 is $200 and the 1060 is $250. There's a good $50 difference.
        In my mind, there are only 3 price ranges:
        - $200-300 - stuff I buy
        - <$200 - stuff too weak to consider
        - >$300 - not worth the money

PS Disregard prices in the first couple of months of availability. Those always include early adopters tax (though admittedly, this whole FE crap is downright insulting).
        PPS Fwiw, I've seen a GTX 1060 from Asus priced at $330. They can shove it. I was also expecting the 1060 at $275-300 MSRP so the actual MSRP is a pleasant surprise for me.

Comment

Nobody needs to buy the GTX 10x0 FE, just wait for "normal" prices. It is often good to wait a bit, well maybe if you bought one of those flashable RX 480 4GB cards then you had extra luck as early adopter, but often later you get more for your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Nobody needs to buy the GTX 10x0 FE, just wait for "normal" prices. It is often good to wait a bit, well maybe if you bought one of those flashable RX 480 4GB cards then you had extra luck as early adopter, but often later you get more for your money.
            Not to mention newegg had some 1060s in stock today at $249 or $259. There seems to be (yet again as I predicted) less price gouging going on. Thanks RX 480

Comment

What?
              That Do you want to buy a card without a driver?

Which means you like how driver software is working and not much anything else

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

That Do you want to buy a card without a driver?
                All my Nvidia cards came with a driver, tyvm.

Which means you like how driver softwareis working
                Make up your mind: do Nvidia cards have a driver or don't they? Because I don't see how (in your mind) I would buy a card without a driver and then be satisfied about how the driver is working.

and not much anything else
                Why would me liking the driver support prevent me from appreciating anything else?

No offence, but you sound like you're drunk today.

Comment

Working...
                X