NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Offers Great Performance On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Yes. The question that will be answered over time (2017+) is whether those 2304 shaders in RX 480 can be utilized 20% more optimally than today in order for RX 480 to generally outperform the GTX 1060's 1280 shaders running at a higher frequency.
    No, it's not a question. The 480 already beats the 980 and 1060 in Vulkan. Current gen Nvidia hardware ~can't~ do async anything. It's performance is already in the toilet in cutting edge games and it will blatantly only get worse. The 1060 is yet another Nvidia scam to get you to spend money every year.

Comment

Newegg puts various models avaliable

Shop the VGA store at Newegg.com for a large selection of your favorite products at a great price, with fast shipping & top-rated customer service.

3 models stay on 250us: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini - EVGA GTX 1060 - PNY GTX 1060

Comment

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/d...5#post-1927093

AMD GPUs do not support Feature Level 12_1 and will not even run future games that uses Feature Level 12_1, just like AMD SM2.0 GPUs that couldn't run SM 3.0 games at all.

0 FPS, period.

Nvidia GPUs are future proof, runs much more efficiently and quietly unlike AMD GPUs that will have to be replaced for Feature Level 12_1 support.

It's really sad that Michael does not ban the AMD trolls like SaucyJack and Qaridarium from crap posting in all Nvidia threads just because they're such losers at life.
        Last edited by GT220; 19 July 2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          Well, if you play DX11/OGL games and you don't care about blobs then the 1060 is the RX480 Killer but if you want to be future proof DX12/Vulkan then the RX480 has way more hardware muscle to stretch.
          It does look that way, which is why I'd like to see some Vulkan results on Linux.
          Although, future-proofing... DX12/Vulkan will have to be standard before newer GPU's obsolete these cards.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great review of an incredibly power efficient card that more that at $250 is a much cheaper proposition than $240 for a card that pulls 40 watts extra from the wall to (maybe) match the 1060. I just pre-ordered one of the custom cards from EVGA for only $250 from Newegg using the Phoronix link, so I hope it goes through to thank you for your hard work in this review.

Comment

Based on other reviews, the RX 480 wins hands down when using Vulkan since performance is much less dependent on the driver; so in a sense, the RX 480 is probably more future-proof. But to me, they are close enough that I rather support the company that releases firmware, documentation, and pays developers to work on open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by damg View Post
                Based on other reviews, the RX 480 wins hands down when using Vulkan
                I haven't seen any reviews that show a "strong win" under Vulkan for the Talos Principle or DOTA2 for the Rx 480 over the GTX-1060 in Linux. Can you point them out to me?

I've seen plenty of Linux reviews showing a 120 watt Nvidia Pascal card that launched at $249 competing with and even beating an R9 Fury, which literally should not happen at all ever. That seems awfully "future proof" to me for Pascal.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

No, it's not a question. The 480 already beats the 980 and 1060 in Vulkan. Current gen Nvidia hardware ~can't~ do async anything. It's performance is already in the toilet in cutting edge games and it will blatantly only get worse. The 1060 is yet another Nvidia scam to get you to spend money every year.
                  Where have you seen that? I've only seen HardOCP testing Vulkan, but they're using an older driver than Doom needs to do async compute on Nvidia hardware. The rest of the reviews haven't even touched Vulkan (though I haven't read them all yet).

Comment

Originally posted by GT220 View Post
                    https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/d...5#post-1927093

AMD GPUs do not support Feature Level 12_1 and will not even run future games that uses Feature Level 12_1, just like AMD SM2.0 GPUs that couldn't run SM 3.0 games at all.

0 FPS, period.

Nvidia GPUs are future proof, runs much more efficiently and quietly unlike AMD GPUs that will have to be replaced for Feature Level 12_1 support.

It's really sad that Michael does not ban the AMD trolls like SaucyJack and Qaridarium from crap posting in all Nvidia threads just because they're such losers at life.
                    It's a shame he doesn't ban Nvidia shills like you. Feature level 12_1 isn't an much of an issue as the few 12_1 features missing can be emulated in software with small impact. As shills like you conveniently leave out, Nvidia does not support full DX12 resource binding capping potential performance at the hardware level, and that's not even including the hit they take emulating async. So your "just like AMD SM2.0 GPUs that couldn't run SM 3.0 games at all." makes zero sense.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Where have you seen that? I've only seen HardOCP testing Vulkan, but they're using an older driver than Doom needs to do async compute on Nvidia hardware. The rest of the reviews haven't even touched Vulkan (though I haven't read them all yet).
                      Guru3D has nice selection of DX12 games benchmarked. But strangely enough they did not test Doom on Vulkan, you'll have to go somewhere else for that.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html

Edit: Here's the mega list. Some of them barely touch DX12/Vulkan... guess we know who got a check from Nvidia.
                      http://videocardz.com/62364/nvidia-g...x-1060-reviews

Techspot has a Doom Vulkan benchmark.
                      http://www.techspot.com/review/1209-...060/page3.html
                      Last edited by SaucyJack; 19 July 2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X