No announcement yet.

Blender's AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL Performance Is Crazy Slow Compared To NVIDIA CUDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender's AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL Performance Is Crazy Slow Compared To NVIDIA CUDA

Phoronix: Blender's AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL Performance Is Crazy Slow Compared To NVIDIA CUDA

Earlier this week I posted a number of NVIDIA CUDA Blender OpenCL Cycles render benchmarks from various green GPUs. Here are some tests now when making use of Blender's OpenCL support on AMD Radeon hardware when using the latest AMDGPU-PRO Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if the "OpenCL" mode actually uses OpenCL, or if it's really just using CPU fallbacks. I've seen (while trying to test beignet) Blender binaries floating around that got this wrong

Comment

The newest cards, with an immature linux driver. I would gladly see a benchmark too, in which the old tahiti/hawaii is compared to the new geforce series, especially in double precision which barely seen in benchmarks.(no wonder why).

Comment

Blender's AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL Performance Is Crazy Slow when running on CPU Compared To NVIDIA CUDA

You have all same results Michael there, so thats is CPU doing it... here you have results for RX 480:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/sho...=1#post3072292

So should be 2 minutes or less.

Comment

Why didnt you compare AMD vs NVIDIA BOTH on opencl? You cant know if blender cl is bad or AMD cl imp...

Comment

Because blender support CUDA on nVidia and OpenCL on AMD

Probably Michael maybe you have issue with device detection, as of blender 2.75 there is suggestion to run env CYCLES_OPENCL_SPLIT_KERNEL_TEST=1 if device does not appear... or if that does not work some suggest to install 'ocl-icd-opencl-dev' package on Ubuntu instead of amd's one, etc...

Basically user should check that in Blender, User Preferences>System>Compute Device ... if OpenCL device does not appear there, of course it would run on CPU

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
              Why didnt you compare AMD vs NVIDIA BOTH on opencl? You cant know if blender cl is bad or AMD cl imp...
              With NVIDIA hardware, only CUDA is exposed.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Because blender support CUDA on nVidia and OpenCL on AMD
                I thought that blender do support OpenCL on nvidia but on Nvidia hardware cuda outperforms OpenCL.

I think it should be possible but i have no idea if it's an interesting test scenario since i never tried it.

Comment

Well, with supported i mean recommended too so whatever appear by default... i guess one can force that CYCLES_OPENCL_SPLIT_KERNEL_TEST=1 so nvidia might show OpenCL device too or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

With NVIDIA hardware, only CUDA is exposed.
                    Any way to hide the hardware id? It would be unprofessional to not provide opencl support on an unknown, but opencl capable card.

Comment

Working...
                    X