Red Hat Is Working To Improve Linux Switchable Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haagch View Post

Maybe they're going to make a GUI for all of that. Or just automagic configuration.
    xrandr --setprovideroutputsource... Not everyone wants to open a terminal and put that into it every single time.

Or offloading with dri3. Is there any other GUI than the one that I hacked together here? https://github.com/ChristophHaag/gpuchooser
    Yes I did this one long ago: https://github.com/axeldavy/driCenter
    It could detect apps running on the gpu, so it could get the exact exe name to put in the settings.

Comment

Cool, didn't know about that.
      Doesn't link though:
      Code:
      /home/chris/oldhome/build/driCenter/driCenterGui/../CardDetection/driCenterDete//libdriCenterDete.a(egl_info.o): In function `fill_egl_info':
      egl_info.c:(.text+0x2c0): undefined reference to `eglGetPlatformDisplayEXT'
      egl_info.c:(.text+0x818): undefined reference to `eglGetPlatformDisplayEXT'
      egl_info.c:(.text+0x82c): undefined reference to `eglGetPlatformDisplayEXT'

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        What problems is it that this will solve?
        I use AMD powered laptop and i can't identify with the problem?
        I can already use "DRI_PRIME=1 program".
        Is the Intel/Nvidia combo really that bad? (i never use nvidia in laptops anymore since my nvidia laptops have always fried the graphics card)
        AMD only? Do you have diagonal tearing? With my laptop powered by an Intel CPU+iGPU and AMD dGPU it's pretty noticeable

Comment

Originally posted by cip91 View Post
          AMD only? Do you have diagonal tearing? With my laptop powered by an Intel CPU+iGPU and AMD dGPU it's pretty noticeable
          As mentioned earlier by FireBurn that's intel's problem.
          Relevant Bug report: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=95472

Comment

It would be nice if they could put effort in outside of prime, like maybe into glvnd. From my limited understanding, it could be used to switch GPU driver when running any big 3D task, so iGPU could be used for all desktop stuff, and the when switching to game, you could get a fully binary driver experience. Can't this be used to bypass that realistic fact that NVIDIA binary will not be usable with wayland anytime soon?

BTW, I doubt that RedHat is going to invest tons into a X only solution, when trying to push off to primarily wayland displays, so all the X rhetoric may not apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-Ultimate View Post

If you paid for something that you knew wasn't working well, sorry, but then there's no one to blame but yourself.
              Thank You. I been saying that same thing for so long. It's so good to hear someone else say it too.The fact is linux users have to do research about hardware -before- they buy. It's been that way for decades!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Intel integrated graphics has good performance.
                I would rather have a laptop powered exclusively by Intel graphics than one with dedicated graphics from AMD or Nvidia.
                x2, intel is turning out some impressive integrated gpu's these days. I've been very pleased with them from both performance and power consumption perspective. Plus they're rock solid stable, and the drivers are FOSS. Linux + intel graphics are a really great combination.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Thank You. I been saying that same thing for so long. It's so good to hear someone else say it too.The fact is linux users have to do research about hardware -before- they buy. It's been that way for decades!
                  If you decide to DIY and load an unsupported OS, then the onus is on YOU to do the compatibility research and testing. Why people can't seem to grasp this concept I don't understand.

Buying a Windows Peecee and then whining that Linux doesn't work on it is no different from buying a Microsoft XBox and whining that it won't play your Sony Playstation games.

If you're unwilling or unable to do the technical research, you can always buy a system that comes preloaded with Linux. System76 and other have been doing this for years, and they make it a no-brainer. "It just works", because they've done all the legwork of compatibility testing to ensure you get a fully supported and well working system.

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post

Good enough for most work related things and some light gaming (let's say Minecraft and co), but when you go into flight simulators (flightgear) or a game like Kerbal Space Program, you'll love to have a decent GPU.

Of course, that's the kind of games/programs you play/run on a desktop with a dedicated GPU, but it would be nice to fly my flightgear-777-200ER on my laptop some times. It was a lot worse on my 3rd gen Intel GPU, but this 5th gen could be better.

That's the main reason people tend to like discrete graphics: to turn them off when they don't used them, turn them on when they want to have a bit more frames and shadows.

By the way, it seems like Intel drivers are a lot better under Windows than under Linux, especially if you compare to the AMDGPU drivers with respect to their Windows counterparts.
                    The intel gpus are better than that.
                    They've really negated the need for dgpu for laptops in all but a few circumstances (gaming laptops--people still buy those?---or mobile workstations). I would like to see intel price their iris/iris pro line somewhat cheaper and power gate them a bit better so that you'd see them offered in more laptops. Ideally, they would just power gate whole slices under certain conditions so that you could fit one of those big igpus in a 15-17W envelope while letting them run full power when it's plugged in and/or being actively cooled.

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post

Good enough for most work related things and some light gaming (let's say Minecraft and co), but when you go into flight simulators (flightgear) or a game like Kerbal Space Program, you'll love to have a decent GPU.

Of course, that's the kind of games/programs you play/run on a desktop with a dedicated GPU, but it would be nice to fly my flightgear-777-200ER on my laptop some times. It was a lot worse on my 3rd gen Intel GPU, but this 5th gen could be better.

That's the main reason people tend to like discrete graphics: to turn them off when they don't used them, turn them on when they want to have a bit more frames and shadows.

By the way, it seems like Intel drivers are a lot better under Windows than under Linux, especially if you compare to the AMDGPU drivers with respect to their Windows counterparts.
                      The intel gpus are better than that.
                      They've really negated the need for dgpu for laptops in all but a few circumstances (gaming laptops--people still buy those?---or mobile workstations). I would like to see intel price their iris/iris pro line somewhat cheaper and power gate them a bit better so that you'd see them offered in more laptops. Ideally, they would just power gate whole slices under certain conditions so that you could fit one of those big igpus in a 15-17W envelope while letting them run full power when it's plugged in and/or being actively cooled.

Comment

Working...
                      X