Red Hat Is Working To Improve Linux Switchable Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Intel integrated graphics has good performance.
    Good enough for most work related things and some light gaming (let's say Minecraft and co), but when you go into flight simulators (flightgear) or a game like Kerbal Space Program, you'll love to have a decent GPU.

Of course, that's the kind of games/programs you play/run on a desktop with a dedicated GPU, but it would be nice to fly my flightgear-777-200ER on my laptop some times. It was a lot worse on my 3rd gen Intel GPU, but this 5th gen could be better.

That's the main reason people tend to like discrete graphics: to turn them off when they don't used them, turn them on when they want to have a bit more frames and shadows.

By the way, it seems like Intel drivers are a lot better under Windows than under Linux, especially if you compare to the AMDGPU drivers with respect to their Windows counterparts.

Comment

In previous RoadMap (before Fedora 24) there was mentioned that they are working for better support also for proprietary drivers. Now there is no mention at all...

I hope that proprietary drivers also gain on these changes...

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
        In previous RoadMap (before Fedora 24) there was mentioned that they are working for better support also for proprietary drivers. Now there is no mention at all...

I hope that proprietary drivers also gain on these changes...
        Hmm, "proprietary drivers" are mostly NVIDIA.

Plot twist, this is an intel-AMD joint effort to push NVIDIA out of the HIGHLY LUCRATIVE niche of linux laptops with switchable graphics.

Don your tin-hats.

Comment

Go ask NVidia to get their act together. As a customer you paid to get a working product after all…

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Go ask NVidia to get their act together. As a customer you paid to get a working product after all…
            If you paid for something that you knew wasn't working well, sorry, but then there's no one to blame but yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Hmm, "proprietary drivers" are mostly NVIDIA.

Plot twist, this is an intel-AMD joint effort to push NVIDIA out of the HIGHLY LUCRATIVE niche of linux laptops with switchable graphics.

Don your tin-hats.
              I think it's more of a Red Hat "hey, those new shiny AMD drivers and Intel drivers... we can make them work! Finally! Let's do that!" kinda thing.

Comment

Too bad there are not very many good portable gaming laptops with AMD cards that could really benefit from this, but maybe with polaris11... (but given the surprisingly bad power efficiency of polaris10 I am not holding my breath).

For now it would be already great if there was a way in GRUB (or the login manager?) to select to boot up with the Nvidia card enabled. Right now I have to boot and log in all the way in order to switch PRIME to the nvidia card

Yes I know bumblebee, but my system is old and I need every little bit of extra performance for now...

Comment

It'd be interesting to see a shared state machine or similar, which would be able to switch GPUs mid-context. This certainly seems possible with Mesa; though I guess it could mean losing specific capabilities of each GPU (e.g. unified memory for integrated, texture compression formats and antialiasing schemes for discrete). Maybe better not to try, but one can dream. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    The product works actually.
                    With the driver you can switch discrete <-> integrated just by restarting the X server.
                    Primus works well too but may be tricky to install depending on distros.

So the idea here is to improve and get more reliable stuff directly into the system, without adding multiple ppas and packages.

Comment

I've never bothered about my integrated intel graphics but hope someday Vulkan will simply use it together with my GTX770 simultaneously.

Comment

Working...
                      X