Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Variety Of OpenGL/OpenCL NVIDIA 367.27 vs. AMD Linux 4.7 + Mesa Git Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unapproved again... should be a country & music song

cde1, if you are responding to EricG's comment he is just saying that the amdgpu pro driver (which includes OpenCL that supports Blender) only has amd.com download packages for Ubuntu at the moment and he is using some other distro. Some distros have already repackaged the amdgpu pro files, and we're going to make that easier in the future, but sounds like that is not the case for the distro he uses at the moment.
    Last edited by bridgman; 28 June 2016, 10:20 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
      I am an AMD fanboy, and I wish you die in pain for that.

NVidia is evil, they put a pussycat alive in every card they sell.
      They do this so that their hardware cannot be used by opensource drivers, it is an old egyptian dark ritual.

When you install NVidia blob, the pussycat scratch your hard disk to install Windows 10. It does it slowly, byte by byte with its tiny claws.
      When Windows is installed it looks like Linux, but it is not : .so are now .dll, and the pussycat explose, inflicting a 50° temp increase to all your components.

This is what they do man, this is what NVidia is able to.

But AMD just gives blessed open source drivers that will remove all maledict and evil cats (dead or alive) from your computer, and it will smell fresh mint (or strawberry, your choice)
      Exceedingly good impersonation of debianxfce. 10/10, perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Exceedingly good impersonation of debianxfce. 10/10, perfect.
        I give him 9/10 becuse he forgot to mention everything he listed is fact™

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I give him 9/10 becuse he forgot to mention everything he listed is fact™
          Fact #1 : I actually AM debianxfce, this was an evil trap, and you stupid douche evil nasty NVidia accolytes felt in like noob shitty proprietary drivers you desserve in hell.
          Fact #2 : I win. U suck. AMD rulz.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

What distro are you running ?

I was under the impression that the PM problems we were having with 290/390 were fixed on 290 and (recently) either substantially or completely fixed on 390. Sounds like you are still seeing problems with the open source code - what component versions are you running ?
            Fedora with kernels 4.5.7 and 4.7.0rc4, though I'd be happy if I could even get support for -PRO on RHEL.

Fedora bug report: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1350292

It (appears) to be similar in nature to this upstream bug report: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91880

Where certain loads will cause a complete GPU hang. The Fedora report was originally tagged as kernel, but it got moved to be for the xorg's ATI driver-- no idea why since userspace shouldn't be able to crash hardware, if the kernel is doing its job.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I was under the impression that the PM problems we were having with 290/390 were fixed on 290 and (recently) either substantially or completely fixed on 390. Sounds like you are still seeing problems with the open source code - what component versions are you running ?
              I think my first comment is sitting in limbo, because I can't find it to edit it, so here's a second reply.

I should add on: dmesg definitely blames DPM, but this happened even when I replaced the firmware files with the hawaii_k_* ones from Alex's personal repo (as suggested in the upstream report), and when I set power level and power profile to high/performance before running the game.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                I hate to say it, but I found a 970 for <200 that I am about to pull the trigger on because my 290 is at a quarter of the performance I had on Windows, and a third of a 960... That's pretty sad. And that doesn't even mention the crashes & lockups that have been plaguing 290/390 users for over a year....
                I would wait some time because i think 970 isn't produced any longer and there selling out old stock and when polaris RX 460-480 is out then they might need to lower prices some more to sell of their old stock.
                And you may also know more about the performance and power efficiency and the state of the drivers (amdgpu-pro, amdgpu) of polaris by then and you can make a choice of the new information, maybe you rather want an polaris card then.
                Last edited by Nille_kungen; 28 June 2016, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I think Ericg is running Fedora 24.

Comment

Fedora with kernels 4.5.7 and 4.7.0rc4, though I'd be happy if I could even get support for -PRO on RHEL.

Fedora bug report: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1350292

It (appears) to be similar in nature to this upstream bug report: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91880

Where certain loads will cause a complete GPU hang. The Fedora report was originally tagged as kernel, but it got moved to be for the xorg's ATI driver-- no idea why since userspace shouldn't be able to crash hardware, if the kernel is doing its job.
                    the kernel does not check the shader code (much less with ROCm and usermode dispatch). if the shader code is miscompiled and hangs the GPU, the kernel has no way to prevent it, the usual response is to have a watchdog and reset the GPU if you detect hanged GPU.

Comment

RHEL support is coming for sure - don't remember what current plans are for Fedora but my guess is that we may have to package for it as well - my guess is that the Fedora packagers are going to be less excited than most about packaging up closed source stuff

Ahh, interesting - your last comment there mentioned that the lockups were specific to a couple of apps (TF2 and Payday2) - is that still the case ?
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X