Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Variety Of OpenGL/OpenCL NVIDIA 367.27 vs. AMD Linux 4.7 + Mesa Git Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

True... But swapping my 290 for a 970 would get me: latest OpenGL, CUDA (Blender), better performance across the board, and probably fix the lockups. Swapping it for a 480 would (hopefully) fix the lockups... but wouldn't get me any thing else. Can't even "just use AMDGPU Pro" since they only support Ubuntu right now.
    AMDGPU Pro isn't going to be limited to Ubuntu - as soon as it's released in 2 days.

It will also get you better performance across the board, latest OpenGL, and apparently CUDA support - or at least sometime soon.

No idea if the lockups would be fixed, though - but it honestly seems kind of stupid to buy a card right now. I mean, if nothing else, there's a pretty good chance that prices for that 970 will be lower a week from now.

Comment

The fact that this is using the open source AMD drivers... 4 years ago this would be a hoax.

Would be more worthwhile to compare open source vs open source though. Of course... we wouldn't want NVIDIA to look bad, would we?

Comment

Can't even "just use AMDGPU Pro" since they only support Ubuntu right now.
        I feel the pain having a AMD powered laptop.

Comment

True... But swapping my 290 for a 970 would get me: latest OpenGL, CUDA (Blender), better performance across the board, and probably fix the lockups. Swapping it for a 480 would (hopefully) fix the lockups... but wouldn't get me any thing else. Can't even "just use AMDGPU Pro" since they only support Ubuntu right now.
          What distro are you running ?

I was under the impression that the PM problems we were having with 290/390 were fixed on 290 and (recently) either substantially or completely fixed on 390. Sounds like you are still seeing problems with the open source code - what component versions are you running ?
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
            I'm puzzled: AMD cards perform well under Dota2 / Unigine Heaven 4.0 but rather subpar on other games.
            Is it because developers have easier access to Dota2 / Unigine as they're free? Or am I missing something?
            Dota 2 isnt even much demanding game, it runs at maximum graphics @ 40-60 fps @ 1366x768 even on my non gaming class laptop, so if amd would manage to mess up with dota2 performance, they could move their hq straight to britain... And unigine heaven also isnt too much of "pc killer", its made for technologies review purpose.

Comment

No Hawaii/Grenada (290/X/390/X) but 2 Pitcairn/Curaçao/Trinidad (270X/370)?
              Why?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                The fact that this is using the open source AMD drivers... 4 years ago this would be a hoax.

Would be more worthwhile to compare open source vs open source though. Of course... we wouldn't want NVIDIA to look bad, would we?
                Yes, everyone wants NVidia to loose for so long, can't wait 480 for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  Yes, everyone wants NVidia to loose for so long, can't wait 480 for that!
                  It seems release of RX 480 is so soon, that on the net there is some photo of GTX 1060 appeared from Hong Kong couple hours ago

BTW, photo is very viral among sites, till tommorow it seems it will be more pictures of it then of RX 480... internet is miracle
                  Last edited by dungeon; 28 June 2016, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

I've seen this posted before and it doesn't make more sense now that it did then. Nvidia is not involved in nouveau, so why would nouveau make Nvidia look bad? Unless you're thinking about their (lack of) engagement with the open source community. But even then, it's a known fact, not something you'd see in benchmarks.
                    Last edited by bug77; 28 June 2016, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I've seen this posted before and it doesn't make more sense now that it did then. Nvidia is not involved in nouveau, so why would nouveau make Nvidia look bad? Unless you're thinking about their (lack of) engagement with the open source community. But even then, it's a known fact, not something you'd see in benchmarks.
                      I am an AMD fanboy, and I wish you die in pain for that.

NVidia is evil, they put a pussycat alive in every card they sell.
                      They do this so that their hardware cannot be used by opensource drivers, it is an old egyptian dark ritual.

When you install NVidia blob, the pussycat scratch your hard disk to install Windows 10. It does it slowly, byte by byte with its tiny claws.
                      When Windows is installed it looks like Linux, but it is not : .so are now .dll, and the pussycat explose, inflicting a 50° temp increase to all your components.

This is what they do man, this is what NVidia is able to.

But AMD just gives blessed open source drivers that will remove all maledict and evil cats (dead or alive) from your computer, and it will smell fresh mint (or strawberry, your choice)

Comment

Working...
                      X