Place Your Bets Now About The Power Efficiency Of The Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Stress level at all time high? Yep, check.
    you seem to have space and iron pipes around, so make yourself a pullup bar, this is probably the easiest solution to unwanted weight gain.

Comment

I would not place a bet but looking at some of the open code contributions, polaris might have the potential to improve efficiency on Linux a lot. Of course I don't know how mature the driver code is, but when I read things like "per CU power gating", it could save a lot of power in those exact situations where it is underperforming and not fully occupied. "Just" completely power-gate those CUs that are not working, while keeping the clocks up and not throttle other parts of the chip down -> rather big efficiency boost!(?) we'll see...

Comment

Just a caution - IIRC the per-CU power gating is for Polaris 11 only and the initial test results will be for Polaris 10.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          ... IIRC the per-CU power gating is for Polaris 11 only and the initial test results will be for Polaris 10.
          So tomorrow we won't see test results for RX 460 (Polaris 11)? Only RX 480? :-(

Comment

Just a caution - IIRC the per-CU power gating is for Polaris 11 only and the initial test results will be for Polaris 10.
            Oh really? It is not supported by hardware?
            That's sad, even CZ was capable a year ago (while I don't know if supported by any production driver)...

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...t-4.8-wip#n410
            https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...-4.8-wip#n5368
            https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...t-4.8-wip#n162

Seems you're right, however
            Polaris11 only for now
            Does raise hopes... Still a pity it couldn't make it into the release drivers, however I'm not sure about the actual effect, of course...
            Still a bit confusing, was P11 planned to be released before P10 initially?

One more day to go, anyone knows the actual time of NDA expiration?

BTW: What are "golden settings"? I wonder all the time...
            Last edited by juno; 28 June 2016, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Not sure about intended launch sequence; we always talked about them internally as a pair so I imagine the plan was to launch at more or less the same time. My impression was that per-CU PG was for the smaller chip only since that was the one that would see heavy use in laptops.

Golden settings are the accumulation of all the "set register ABC to XYZ" directions we get from the hardware team, turned into a sequenced data table (sequence can be really important) and set up at the start of HW initialization (or presumably on restore).
              Test signature

Comment

Not sure about intended launch sequence; we always talked about them internally as a pair so I imagine the plan was to launch at more or less the same time. My impression was that per-CU PG was for the smaller chip only since that was the one that would see heavy use in laptops.

Golden settings are the accumulation of all the "set register ABC to XYZ" directions we get from the hardware team, turned into a sequenced data table (sequence can be really important) and set up at the start of HW initialization (or presumably on restore).
                I am afraid from the bad naming(M480 for an equivalent of the RX460), that the M480 price will be to high. I am also afraid that consoles will get again a stronger APU(4.5-6Tflops) versus laptops(2-2.5). I also don't understand why laptops don't get the lowest LP lithography (3-3.3ghz max for the cpu, 0.9-1ghz max for the gpu).

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                  I am afraid from the bad naming(M480 for an equivalent of the RX460), that the M480 price will be to high.
                  Just curious, what is this based on ?

I am also afraid that consoles will get again a stronger APU(4.5-6Tflops) versus laptops(2-2.5).
                  Yeah, as long as consoles plug into the wall and laptops run on batteries there's going to be pressure to put smaller HW into laptops. That said you see big-ass gaming laptops today and I don't see any sign of that changing.

I also don't understand why laptops don't get the lowest LP lithography (3-3.3ghz max for the cpu, 0.9-1ghz max for the gpu).
                  Don't understand this - you're talking about Line Pitch aren't you ? What is the connection between lowest LP lithography and clocks ? Laptops tend to get low clocks simply because wide low-clocked hardware tends to use less power than narrow high-clocked hardware for the same performance.
                  Test signature

Comment

Just curious, what is this based on ?

Yeah, as long as consoles plug into the wall and laptops run on batteries there's going to be pressure to put smaller HW into laptops. That said you see big-ass gaming laptops today and I don't see any sign of that changing.

Don't understand this - you're talking about Line Pitch aren't you ? What is the connection between lowest LP lithography and clocks ? Laptops tend to get low clocks simply because wide low-clocked hardware tends to use less power than narrow high-clocked hardware for the same performance.
                    There is a connection of Lithography with Frequency and Consumption. If you cut your laptop processor with a High version then you can get 3.7Ghz or more with an X consumption. If you cut with a Low method you cannot get more than 3-3.3Ghz and you will have 0.5X consumption even if the difference on Frequency is not 1.5-2X.

Also for strong Laptop APUs, I mean if they will exist at all, not if they require bigger Laptops.

Comment

There are no stronger APUs than Bristol Ridge yet. Console SoCs are semi-custom, designed together with and funded by the customers/partners.
                      Raven Ridge should bring both Zen cores and GCN Gen.4 together next year, if we are lucky maybe even with HBM, but I think that's more wishful thinking and out of profitability

Comment

Working...
                      X