Place Your Bets Now About The Power Efficiency Of The Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by startas View Post
    ... As i see right now, there is no point in buying anything slower than 1070, ...
    How this?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
      How this?
      I'm just targeting good and comfortable gaming at 1440p res, because 4k is not there yet with good support from all sides - games, computers and monitors. But 2k (1440p) is here and and 1080p is very old not good enough, so all in all, gaming is entertainment, and i see no fun in buying bad pc and gaming 720p @ 15 fps, had too much of that, no more - geforce 1070 seems like a good card from first benchmarks for 2k@60fps gaming, and it is not too costly(about 550 euros at my place), so i think thats the card to beat. Therefore amd really needs some miracle to beat nvidia either by performance(which is not happening in any age soon) or by having almost the same performance and having much lower prices. I know i want too much, but rx480 must have at least 95% power of 1070, and must cost no more than 400 euros for me to consider it an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

why a FlOSS driver user would ever use the closed source nvidia driver?
        and if you test fairly on both sides means the FLOSS driver nvidia hardware lose.
        so in fact there is no "try so hard" it is just a fact that nvidia is not competitive if you compare apples with apples and bananas with bananas.
        Not a fair comparison - amd foss drivers are still alive and in development, and geforce foss drivers doesnt even support half the cards, third world crap... And this foss/closed source comparison in childish on its own - driver is a driver, just compare using the best one and thats it. You just cant take foss seriously - its like you giving unofficial support for some alien technology - its not their fault you suck at it.
        Last edited by startas; 27 June 2016, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I'm just targeting good and comfortable gaming at 1440p res, because 4k is not there yet with good support from all sides - games, computers and monitors. But 2k (1440p) is here and and 1080p is very old not good enough, so all in all, gaming is entertainment, and i see no fun in buying bad pc and gaming 720p @ 15 fps, had too much of that, no more - geforce 1070 seems like a good card from first benchmarks for 2k@60fps gaming, and it is not too costly(about 550 euros at my place), so i think thats the card to beat. Therefore amd really needs some miracle to beat nvidia either by performance(which is not happening in any age soon) or by having almost the same performance and having much lower prices. I know i want too much, but rx480 must have at least 95% power of 1070, and must cost no more than 400 euros for me to consider it an option.
          I have a 2k monitor that I power with a Nvidia GTX 660. It easily plays games at native resolution at 60 FPS with medium to high settings. The RX480 should play pretty much ANY game maxed out at 2k, and decently at 4k. Your point is invalid.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

why a FlOSS driver user would ever use the closed source nvidia driver?
            and if you test fairly on both sides means the FLOSS driver nvidia hardware lose.
            so in fact there is no "try so hard" it is just a fact that nvidia is not competitive if you compare apples with apples and bananas with bananas.
            And as I wrote, comparing bananas with bananas means official driver VS official driver.

All you do want is bench all with mesa so that, once since several years, AMD wins.

BTW, following your idea : pursue all testers who dare comparing Windows VS Linux, Oracle VS MariaDB etc.

Last word : AMDGPU is developped by AMD itself... so where is the cheat here?
            Last edited by Passso; 27 June 2016, 09:51 AM. Reason: Last word

Comment

I'm just targeting good and comfortable gaming at 1440p res,
              Not everyone has a monitor with 1440 resolution. So there is FOR YOU, but not for everyone, no point in buying anything slower than 1070.

... thats the card to beat.
              For you!

Therefore amd really needs some miracle to beat nvidia either by performance(which is not happening in any age soon) or by having almost the same performance and having much lower prices. I know i want too much, but rx480 must have at least 95% power of 1070, and must cost no more than 400 euros for me to consider it an option.
              There is rumor RX 480 will be no more than 250 euros without miracle.

Comment

I know i want too much, but rx480 must have at least 95% power of 1070, and must cost no more than 400 euros for me to consider it an option.
                The RX 480 isn't meant to compete against the 1070, it is made for a different audience. Vega will will have to compete with the GTX 1070/1080.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

BTW. Are you european? Or asain? Because I find that my European and asain department mates make comments like this and don't realize how amazingly rude it is in American culture.
                  As a European, i feel offended by that comment
                  Yeah, i think the comment was a bit harsh. But i also think that there are people without social filter everywhere in the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Can you guys can stop asking to compare AMDGPU vs Nouveau.

Michael is comparing official driver vs official driver and he is right.

Your choice not to buy NVidia for that is respectable. But you, AMD fanboys, try SO HARD to see AMD win vs NVidia and this is childish at best.
                    Not asking Michael to compare amdgpu to nouveau. I'm asking to compare amdgpu to nvidia proprietary. In the article, it's comparing mesa to nvidia proprietary, but the Radeon cards used in the article all support amdgpu, so why not use it?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                      Not everyone has a monitor with 1440 resolution. So there is FOR YOU, but not for everyone, no point in buying anything slower than 1070.

For you!

There is rumor RX 480 will be no more than 250 euros without miracle.
                      Yes, for me, i wrote that, please read before commenting, and stop being amd's bitch.

And not only to me, it should be for everyone, as others mentioned, 660gtx already sucks balls and cant run 2k max graphics, so next round of games gonna be 720p@30 fps or 1080p @ 10fps plus low graphics... Please keep that sado mazo for yourself, this is fun i am talking about, not resurrection of hitler .....

Comment

Working...
                      X