Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Linux Performance-Per-Dollar: What The RX 480 Will Have To Compete Against

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium

nvidia need to lower the 1ß80 price in near/close future because AMD-Vega hat already the rollout in th chip factory and it is 13%faster than the 1080.
    That is inconsequential to the problem at hand. Right now AMD does not have a response to nvidia's Pascal. That should change by the end of the month, but if rx 480 has performance level similar to rx 390x then they've failed again.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
      I'm unsure of why it matters when AMD is an international company...? Is there some conflict with Shanghai that I'm not aware of?
      I don't think coder realized that NVidia also had a large R&D center in Shanghai, so saw NVidia as being "more American"...

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
      Sounds like Vega was a whole new architecture instead of a 350mm² RX 480 with HBM.
      The reason I wasn't sure about Polaris but am sure about Vega is simply that I wasn't involved with Polaris but am very involved with Vega. We rotate tech leads because the development efforts for successive chips overlap in time.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
        ... if rx 480 has performance level similar to rx 390x then they've failed again.
        If you can get a performance level similar to R9 390x for much less $$s, why would this be a fail?

Comment

That is inconsequential to the problem at hand. Right now AMD does not have a response to nvidia's Pascal. That should change by the end of the month, but if rx 480 has performance level similar to rx 390x then they've failed again.
          That seems like an odd comment - you're saying that if our midrange card doesn't outperform NVidia's high end card then we have failed somehow ?

I would love to understand the logic behind that, unless you are just saying "some people are stupid and that's what they will think".
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

That seems like an odd comment - you're saying that if our midrange card doesn't outperform NVidia's high end card then we have failed somehow ?

I would love to understand the logic behind that, unless you are just saying "some people are stupid and that's what they will think".
            I think he's saying that the fact that AMD doesn't currently have a (competitive) high end card is the failure. Although I disagree, as long as that situation doesn't last for too long. Vega can't be delayed.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong, so please correct me if that's the case, but nvidia's x(x)70 cards always end up as their midrange offerings. Unless something changes, nvidia is sure to start offering the gtx 1070 card for a lot cheaper than its current $400+ price just to counter AMD's rx 480 (although that is time dependent). Given the performance difference between the rx 390x and gtx 1070 most customers will decide that the latter is supreme even if it's more expensive and just marginally better, which will undermine AMD's position even more.

Comment

my comment disappeared. I'm writing it again.

Correct me if I'm wrong but nvidia's x(x)70 cards always end up as their midrange offerings, so once AMD releases the rx 480 nvidia might be inclined to substantially reduce the price of the gtx 1070. Although that's dependent on the time, customers might be inclined to consider the nvidia's midrange offering because of its (slightly?) better performance compared to the rx 480. my 2c.

Comment

I think it's confusing when high-end for Nvidia ends with 80 and for AMD 80 means mid-range.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying 460 or 470 (AMD Radeon ofc) for my desktop later this year depending on how much they cost (in Finland!) and how they perform. I don't demand very much, but I also don't like to buy cards once a while. My current best setup has GeForce GTX 460 that I bought five years ago as brand new. It is enough for my purposes although I have to use proprietary drivers and I don't get Wayland that way (no Vulkan either!). The other computer has just Radeon HD 6670, that I bought second hand two years ago, and it doesn't quite cut it even for CS:GO at FullHD with quite low settings (haven't tried it lately though) so I'm thinking of replacing that.

Comment

He, he RX 480 does not even compete with that one

I dunno why people complicate things, as AMD going from 28 nm to 14 nm process and release 3 cards in price range of $100, $150 and $200. Cards are RX 460, RX 470 and RX 480. Without much detailing, for most users those can be seen as succesors of R7 360, R7 370 and R9 380. Basicaly newer cards will be sort of double faster then earlier from mid range, mostly thanks to new process and that is how people should look at these

Now, what this new middle range performance might touch or beat from earlier high end, should be interesting to see but is just an secondary question as real high end from new gen is yet to come

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Now, what this new middle range performance might touch or beat from earlier high end, should be interesting to see but is just an secondary question as real high end from new gen is yet to come
                      What most people don't understand is that this has become uncommon. Maybe 10 years ago, each generation of GPUs would be about as fast as the next tier up from the previous gen, but that hasn't been true for a while. So, it's notable that this generation has managed to do it again (mostly due to process improvements).

I think it's pretty interesting how AMD and Nvidia are both dealing with cost & yield issues, on the new node. I prefer AMD's strategy, if only they could've timed their launch to coincide with the GTX 1070's.

Comment

Working...
                      X