Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Linux Performance-Per-Dollar: What The RX 480 Will Have To Compete Against

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward the result of Polaris next week

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
      I'm unsure of why it matters when AMD is an international company...?
      Is there some conflict with Shanghai that I'm not aware of?
      Three things, really. But I'll preface them by saying that I wouldn't have even mentioned it, if it had been somewhere like Norway, Canada, Japan, Ghana, or Uruguay. Also, I want to say that I have nothing against Chinese people or the engineers among them.

First, supporting American engineering jobs is a matter of self-interest.

Second, China is moving up the value chain. How long will it be, before they dominate the computing industry? This is not only an economic concern, but also a political one, given their increasingly aggressive posture.

Third, they announced a formal plan to standardize around a state-sanctioned CPU architecture. Now, why do you think they'd want to do that? Well, I don't think it's going too far to suggest that it lets them do things like control which OS you run, since their CPU can require that your software has been signed by the State. This enables them to enforce requirements that operating systems have backdoors in them, and can potentially prevent you from running certain apps or visiting certain sites. Yes, a country whose internet censorship agency has its own anthem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbBKPqOh6DU) would definitely go this far. Now, do you think their CPUs will stay in China? Of course not.

And, aside from this, AMD recently sold its crown jewels to China. http://www.extremetech.com/computing...chinese-market I was actually expecting them to get bought by the likes of Lenovo or Huawei, but that would've been way more expensive and probably would've gotten nixed by Congress.

Not that I blame them, exactly. To paraphrase Marx: a capitalist will sell you the rope to hang him with. Especially if he has shareholders.

Sorry for the manifesto. I'm somewhat allergic to conspiracy theories, and I'm usually one who downvotes crazy paranoid types and their political rants, particularly on tech sites. But you asked, so there you have it. And yes, I did start it, but I'm not sorry about that, since it gave bridgman to chime in with a few facts.
      Last edited by coder; 26 June 2016, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Coder everything you say is mostly US political fault. Why would China want direct back doors to all their infrastructure if they were to use ANYTHING sold from USA? Luckily I live in Australia, so I have no love for the USA either... (in saying that I still have a intel based system that will no doubt be breached in the future once the whole world figures out how your gov did it all... matter of time...)

Comment

If they manage to achieve 980ti performance for 200-250$ they would seriously undermine nvidia, at least until the price of gtx 1070 gets dropped to more reasonable levels.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
            Unless Nvidia starts significant contributions to nouveau, AMD only has to compete against Intel.
            That wont be true for everyone in here, but I tend to agree. And following my earlier analysis, it seems that AMD is putting more effort in their Linux driver than Intel is putting in theirs, if you compare both drivers to their Windows counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
              If they manage to achieve 980ti performance for 200-250$ they would seriously undermine nvidia, at least until the price of gtx 1070 gets dropped to more reasonable levels.
              Expect about Radeon R9 390X performance as a base level, with a possible 10% overclock on top of that.

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post

That wont be true for everyone in here, but I tend to agree. And following my earlier analysis, it seems that AMD is putting more effort in their Linux driver than Intel is putting in theirs, if you compare both drivers to their Windows counterparts.
                Well, for me it is completely true. I really enjoy amdgpu drivers and will be buying at least one RX 480...just installed antergos on my fiji based system and I have to say, I have never had such effortless installation of linux! Big thanks to AMD, great job!

Comment

Originally posted by Solid State Brain View Post

Expect about Radeon R9 390X performance as a base level, with a possible 10% overclock on top of that.
                  In that case nvidia will just lower the price of gtx 1070 and kill the rx 480. AMD has to show it has the potential to counter nvidia's offering otherwise it's the same old story from two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Hm, maybe we can ask Michael to benchmark which GPU is more "patriotic per rice"
                    Per "rice" is likely a typo impacted by Freud... funny enough!

Anyways, I think all of these firms (AMD, Intel, NVidia) operate world-wide, and essentially rely on innovation due to diversity. I believe "Made in..." and "this is a XYZ-company" (e.g., XYZ=US) are pretty much phrases from yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post

Hmm, I wonder if the relative performance of the Linux vs. Windows evaluation on "AMD" is actually based on the PRO driver (closed source), the RadeonSi driver (open source), or "the best of both"?

Comment

Working...
                      X