Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Linux Performance-Per-Dollar: What The RX 480 Will Have To Compete Against

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I don't think coder realized that NVidia also had a large R&D center in Shanghai, so saw NVidia as being "more American"...
    It's pretty safe to say that NVIDIA is 'more american' when your employer has over 10% of it's employees here on the H1B visa.

Comment

coder
      Ah i don't see rush there as most people buying cards in $100-$300 price range, call that middle range or cards with nice performance and affordable price. Those never win any benchmarks of course high end does that - but GTX 1070 is $450, 1080 is $600/$700 or so. (where real current prices actualy goes beyond $500 for 1070 and even beyond $800 for GTX 1080)

Now where $200 RX 480 is in the whole story? It might touch or beat perfromance of cards from previous gen which costs in range of $300-$400... so that is shortest story, what perf costed that much now cost $200
      Last edited by dungeon; 26 June 2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
        It's pretty safe to say that NVIDIA is 'more american' when your employer has over 10% of it's employees here on the H1B visa.
        NVidia made just over 900 H1B applications in the last 5 years and has just over 4000 employees in NA. We had a slightly lower number of applications and AFAIK have about the same number of employees in NA. Perhaps I'm math challenged but I don't see how that makes them "more American" either.

You're going to find that tech companies tend to have fairly consistent global footprints.

http://www.myvisajobs.com/Visa-Spons...93956_Visa.htm

http://www.myvisajobs.com/Visa-Spons...15602_Visa.htm

http://www.nvidia.ca/object/fy14-gcr...rformance.html
        Last edited by bridgman; 26 June 2016, 05:24 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          NVidia made just over 900 H1B applications in the last 5 years and has just over 4000 employees in NA. We had a slightly lower number of applications and AFAIK have about the same number of employees in NA. Perhaps I'm math challenged but I don't see how that makes them "more American" either.
          FWIW, I did say that it's not only about designing GPUs in another country, and I didn't even mention H1B's. Though I put jobs as the first point, the current engineering job market actually ranks it near the bottom.

A lot of my concerns revolve around China's path towards dominance of this industry.

Comment

Understood. That post was specifically in response to a follow-on comment by another poster.

I have to admit, every time I see one of these "OMG AMD does XYZ" where XYZ is pretty much common practice across all the competing vendors it reminds me of the start of the Great LaRouche Toad-Frog Massacre from Bloom County:

COMMUNISTS AT U.S. DOORSTEP
            by Milo Bloom, Investigative Reporter
            Today it was discovered that after years of aggressive expansion, the Soviet Union has stretched its borders to within a mere 12 miles of American soil. The State Department has no immediate comment.
            ...which wasn't particularly surprising since the State Department had been aware for some time that the easternmost tip of Siberia comes within a polar bear's whisker of Alaska, but who cares since it's too damned cold to worry about. But the vast bulk of the Beacon's readership had no such knowledge and a subdued rumble of patriotic consternation coursed through the local population like some frightening new flu virus. The consensus was that something ought to be done.

"SOMETHING," bellowed Steve Dallas at a hastily called town meeting, "SHOULD BE DONE!" He pounded the table, looking properly drunk with nationalistic fervor. Eunice Annanburg suggested CIA assassinations of most of the Kremlin, but she was soundly overruled in favor of a more moderate response. A letter would be dispatched to the President informing him of the crisis. (Years later, Caspar Weinberger would write in his memoirs that he had been sent to the White House to reassure Mr. Reagan that it wasn't necessary to send the Sixth Fleet to investigate this new business. We were pleased our letter had attracted the attention it deserved. The President was a fave-rave in Bloom County.)
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by H.F.P View Post

Hmm, I wonder if the relative performance of the Linux vs. Windows evaluation on "AMD" is actually based on the PRO driver (closed source), the RadeonSi driver (open source), or "the best of both"?
              Let me check...
              Code:
              =(MAX(C3;D3)-B3)/B3
              , I used best of both. My reasoning probably is that AMD promised to port some of their PRO features to the Mesa stuff. If you want to, I can make a Mesa vs PRO too? I have the data now...

Comment

Working...
              X