Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Radeon RX Announcement For E3 2016

Phoronix: AMD's Radeon RX Announcement For E3 2016

AMD's Lisa Su is taking the stage right now at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) to talk more about the Radeon RX series. Thus the embargo has expired concerning today's announcements so here are all the details...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

phoronix Michael could you ask if it will be possible at some point to switch between radeonsi and amdgpu-pro without rebooting?
    Or better yet to use one or the other on a per application basis?
    Maybe that will be a moot point soon enough if radeonsi catches up in performance.

Also could you ask when we will see the open source vulkan driver?

Btw thanks to all AMD devs posting in this forum, your insight is always greatly appreciated.
    Looking forward to switching to the red team soon with a Polaris card

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
      phoronix Michael could you ask if it will be possible at some point to switch between radeonsi and amdgpu-pro without rebooting?
      Or better yet to use one or the other on a per application basis?
      I think this should be possible once both drivers support GLVND.... But when will -PRO support GLVND? It's already a question I need updating on from them...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

gurv
        Given the differences between amdgpu-pro and the open source driver are mostly in the userspace code, I don't see why switching should be impossible. Even in the worst case that they cannot use the same kernel module, driver can be detached from framebuffer console and unloaded.

I second the request for asking about open source Vulkan plans.

Comment

Related question to using radeonsi and amdgpu-pro together. Do they plan on eventually dropping GL1.x/2.x from the pro side and just having mesa do that? What else (aside from Vulkan) are they doing as part of -pro that they eventually want to drop?

Are they planning to make amdpu-pro in a PPA or other easier to use install (and uninstall) method? Even better if they join https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa

Comment

What's with the "RX" naming? Does that just mean "X pending, will be 5/7/9 once benchmarks hit"?

Comment

Since the Radeonsi driver hit 4.3 compliance there have been a few impressive performance enhancements but no further GL features.

Does this indicate a change of development focus for the driver or can we expect to see more progress towards 4.4 / 4.5 compliance soon?

Comment

Anybody working on OpenCL for amdgpu?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  What's with the "RX" naming? Does that just mean "X pending, will be 5/7/9 once benchmarks hit"?
                  No, the RX cards are the mid to high end cards, and R cards will be the low end. No more numbers.

Comment

The 470 will probably be plenty for me then, as my monitor isn't even 1080p. Might wanna upgrade that, but might wanna spend money on different things as well. Any idea about pricing for the 460 and 470?

Also, how about crossfire support on Linux? How about crossfire between a dGPU and an IGP? Will that happen on Linux, and if so, for what chip combinations?

Comment

Working...
                    X