Latest AMDGPU-PRO Ubuntu Linux Performance vs. NVIDIA, Including The GTX 1080

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
    Can't wait to see more meaningfull benshmarks. Why would I compare a slow vulkan renderer on Dota 2 atm? As well es synthetic benchmarks?

Michael Larabel: Could you please include some more realistic game benchmarks in the future? Of course the ones that could be automated easyly... still synthetic benchmarks are not that much of a use.
    See: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...est-Automation

What more realistic game benchmarks that fit the requirements??? That also aren't CPU-bound like TF2, CS:GO, etc.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

See: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...est-Automation

What more realistic game benchmarks that fit the requirements??? That also aren't CPU-bound like TF2, CS:GO, etc.
      Which means there're none? It may sound a bit to root but with synthetic benchmarks it's not really possible to see how much AMDGPU drivers have advanced. I consider bying AMD after the polaris launch .. but it's hart to get "real world" comparisons with up-to-date drivers.

Comment

Some days ago i tested AMDGPU-PRO remotely with a FirePro (Bonaire) card, but FireGL was NOT shown in the renderer string compared to fglrx. I think there is no check included which renderer should be used, maybe somebody else can compare fglrx with AMDGPU-PRO with a similar card.

Comment

Maybe we can get some sort of community benchmark submission thing going where people bench there games at certain res and settings on hardware and post results with system info? webform/database?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Maybe we can get some sort of community benchmark submission thing going where people bench there games at certain res and settings on hardware and post results with system info? webform/database?
            Yes if someone only would make a site for that, oh wait Michael already did that. http://openbenchmarking.org/

Comment

Originally posted by dang_valve View Post
              Michael,

Something looks wrong with your Dota 2 Vulkan numbers on AMD. These results are not consistent with your own latest test where for example the R9 Fury on Vulkan was at 105.10 FPS: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...an-redux&num=3

Assuming this is the same driver and same machine, I am not aware of anything in Dota 2 that would have regressed performance in this manner. Are you sure you were opted-in to the Steam Beta Channel? This result looks suspiciously like what you might see with the non-beta Steam Overlay where we were oversubscribing the device local visible heap on AMD.

- Dan
              Hello Dan.
              Any idea approximately when the fixes included in the beta client will be pushed to the main client? A lot of people unfortunately don't really pay attention to the release notes.

Also on the source2 vulkan implementation itself; are there any further performance improvements to look forward to? Based on the beta feedback or otherwise. Right now it seems like performance is great in CPU limited areas, whereas there is room for improvement in other areas such as high res GPU limited sections.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
                I already bought popcorn and am waiting for 480 to come out and enjoy the fail AMD is giving us yet again. I have no idea what people are expecting from Polaris since it was never going to compete with nvidia.
                What fail would that be?
                Of course it's going to compete with nvidia but not in the top enthusiast segment.
                What i expect from polaris in for it to use less power and i would guess for 480 to perform almost as the 390 but to use less power and to support for 4k and vr better and newer uncore.
                If someone is expecting RX 480 to beat GTX 1080 then you will need more popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  Hello Dan.
                  Any idea approximately when the fixes included in the beta client will be pushed to the main client? A lot of people unfortunately don't really pay attention to the release notes.

Also on the source2 vulkan implementation itself; are there any further performance improvements to look forward to? Based on the beta feedback or otherwise. Right now it seems like performance is great in CPU limited areas, whereas there is room for improvement in other areas such as high res GPU limited sections.

according to the latest beta-client update patchnotes, they are finalizing their work to push out a full stable release. but i don't know about any timeframe. could be valve time or reverse valve time :P

edit: the latest beta release was actually the final rc
                  Last edited by altarius; 09 June 2016, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Hey Michael anything to say about AMD ROC that bridgman commented a couple weeks ago? Would it improve the OpenCL result?

Comment

@Nille_kungen

Did you read the new unofficial AotS benchmarks? RX480 CF there only scales well in 1080p, funnyly in a setting basically nobody else used for benchmarks before. No idea if AMD can improve that with newer drivers but buying 2x RX480 instead of 1 fast card is useless in most cases - especially for Linux. But fun to have got at least one benchmark setting where the card can shine.

Comment

Working...
                      X