No announcement yet.

Latest AMDGPU-PRO Ubuntu Linux Performance vs. NVIDIA, Including The GTX 1080

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest AMDGPU-PRO Ubuntu Linux Performance vs. NVIDIA, Including The GTX 1080

Phoronix: Latest AMDGPU-PRO Ubuntu Linux Performance vs. NVIDIA, Including The GTX 1080

Last week when posting my initial NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Linux review the Radeon Linux performance numbers I included were from the latest open-source driver stack, since that's what most Phoronix readers seem interested in as of late given the rapid progress recently of OpenGL 4.x support inside Mesa, the hybrid driver stack also using the AMDGPU kernel driver, etc. But some people expressed curiosity over the AMDGPU-PRO performance relative to NVIDIA particularly with their new GTX 1080 graphics processor. So here is a fresh NVIDIA vs. AMDGPU-PRO graphics card comparison on Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be interesting to see how the HCC port of the SHOC benchmark compares to the OpenCL version on AMD hardware...
    HC seems nice but it is really difficult to find any performance numbers.

Comment

Michael,

Something looks wrong with your Dota 2 Vulkan numbers on AMD. These results are not consistent with your own latest test where for example the R9 Fury on Vulkan was at 105.10 FPS: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...an-redux&num=3

Assuming this is the same driver and same machine, I am not aware of anything in Dota 2 that would have regressed performance in this manner. Are you sure you were opted-in to the Steam Beta Channel? This result looks suspiciously like what you might see with the non-beta Steam Overlay where we were oversubscribing the device local visible heap on AMD.

- Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dang_valve View Post
        Assuming this is the same driver and same machine, I am not aware of anything in Dota 2 that would have regressed performance in this manner. Are you sure you were opted-in to the Steam Beta Channel? This result looks suspiciously like what you might see with the non-beta Steam Overlay where we were oversubscribing the device local visible heap on AMD.

- Dan
        Hey Dan, I'll check on it and email you with any other info.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Can't wait to see the RX 480 on this list, once it becomes available.

Comment

I already bought popcorn and am waiting for 480 to come out and enjoy the fail AMD is giving us yet again. I have no idea what people are expecting from Polaris since it was never going to compete with nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
              I already bought popcorn and am waiting for 480 to come out and enjoy the fail AMD is giving us yet again. I have no idea what people are expecting from Polaris since it was never going to compete with nvidia.
              And now the whole world will be able to see what you're full of. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
                since it was never going to compete with nvidia.
                Wut? Of course it is. There's no need to compete with Intel, Intel renders a 3-vertex triangle at at 0.01 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Wut? Of course it is. There's no need to compete with Intel, Intel renders a 3-vertex triangle at at 0.01 fps.
                  No it isn't. It's so far behind that it's not even funny anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Can't wait to see the RX 480 on this list, once it becomes available.
                    Can't wait to see more meaningfull benshmarks. Why would I compare a slow vulkan renderer on Dota 2 atm? As well es synthetic benchmarks?

Michael Larabel: Could you please include some more realistic game benchmarks in the future? Of course the ones that could be automated easyly... still synthetic benchmarks are not that much of a use.

Comment

Working...
                    X