No announcement yet.

GeForce GTX 1070 Looks Great, At Least Under Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill stick with my 970 until I decide if I jumpship to Polaris or Vega.

If AMD could be pratical and competitive on price and perform decent I'd snap one up quick. Or maybe the way to game is to Stream a Windows Slave to a Linux Master with standard Intel graphics. :P

Comment

Sounds like this card is the new Radeon HD 4850, best price-performance ratio ever. I wonder if they'll ruin it by some usual nvidia bullshit, like releasing drivers for windows 10 only.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Well, AMD has stated that Polaris 10 (whichever one is the higher-end one) will have 980/980 Ti performance with half the price and power usage. So Polaris will definitely be competitive in a certain way. Vega will most likely beat the 1070/1080 handily and be more of a competitor to the next generation of Nvidia, given the timing of it's release (whether or not it'll beat that generation, I'm not sure. Probably a few fps behind, like usual).
        And of course, AMD would be the most unbiased source of an opinion you can find. I'm hoping Polaris will be as good as the rumour has it, but the fact remains that for at least 10 years, each time AMD has kept numbers close to their chest, they have not delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Well, AMD has stated that Polaris 10 will have 980/980 Ti performance with half the price and power usage. So Polaris will definitely be competitive in a certain way.
          AMD has never stated something like this to the public or are you an editor/insider spreading undisclosed info this exact moment? If not, you will have an easy job sharing your publicly available source for that statement?!
          They said, it will increase the TAM for VR, it will improve display capabilities, efficiency and target the notebook sector up to mainstream desktop.
          AMD divides the market in Value < Mainstream < Performance < Enthusiast.
          So, compiling the official infos, I'd expect performance somewhere around Hawaii, not GM200.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            were cards always this expensive? I remember a new midcard being around 100(in USD probably around 150. Inflation much?
            No, Nvidia is raising the prices every gen, especially since they sell their mid-range chip (Gxyz4) with the high marketing labels (GTX x80)*. Now the Founder's Edition is just one more clever marketing trick.

*if not familiar, I made a post about this here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...ommended/page2

Not yet in this chart are the 1070/FE for 379/449$ and 1080/FE for 599/699$

Don't get me wrong, the 1070 is a great card, reaching the previous-gen top dogs with ~150 Watts. It's just that imho both GP104 cards are insanely overpriced.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            And of course, AMD would be the most unbiased source of an opinion you can find. I'm hoping Polaris will be as good as the rumour has it, but the fact remains that for at least 10 years, each time AMD has kept numbers close to their chest, they have not delivered.
            AMD actually did deliver for the last years, however "980 Ti performance with half the price and power usage" has never been stated anywhere public, so don't feed the troll
            Last edited by juno; 30 May 2016, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
              were cards always this expensive? I remember a new midcard being around 100(in USD probably around 150. Inflation much?
              I remember 5 years ago the top cards were like 550 Euros. Now it's 800 Euros, most likely do to the poor euro/dollar ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Was going to mention the old Athlon series and then realized I'm older than I thought I was. That said, Phenom is 8 years old. So not quite 10 years.

I'd imagine what most are looking for in Polaris is power consumption, not necessarily power. Sure, Fury X could compete with 980 Ti... with 150% the power consumption. AMD CPU's are even worse until Zen comes around.

Comment

Originally posted by Uramekus
                  I see pretty much a naïve AMD sided graph

AMD releases $999 versions almost every gen
                  http://www.zdnet.com/article/amd-unv...s-card-beast/#!

Only the 6990 was $699
                  It's not sided in any direction, obviously it just lists single GPU cards. Who cares about dual GPU anyway?
                  690 was 1k$, like the 7990. Next duel would be Titan Z (3k$) vs 295X2 (1.5k$). It's not "sided" when there are the facts.

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                  I remember 5 years ago the top cards were like 550 Euros. Now it's 800 Euros, most likely do to the poor euro/dollar ratio.
                  That's only a part of the "problem". Just look at the graph, MSRPs in USD also increased a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    Ill stick with my 970 until I decide if I jumpship to Polaris or Vega.
                    Some polaris 10 benchmarks leaked yesterday, it is slightly faster than gtx980/r390 so you wouldn't be getting much of a performance increase than your gtx970. Vega will bring a big advantage though.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                      It's not sided in any direction, obviously it just lists single GPU cards. Who cares about dual GPU anyway?
                      690 was 1k$, like the 7990. Next duel would be Titan Z (3k$) vs 295X2 (1.5k$). It's not "sided" when there are the facts.
                      The graph says it's showing how Nvidia is more expensive than AMD. Then proceeds to list every Nvidia card (including the Titan line, which is an outlier), but excludes some of AMD's cards (their dual cards, which is how AMD chose to respond to Titan - we don't do one big chip, but get two more tame chips to do the same job). That's why it's skewing the big picture.
                      If you take Titan out of the picture, Nvidia is just a bit more expensive than AMD for the most part. And that price premium is justified, because Nvidia has been a bit faster traditionally.
                      And then you realize most people don't even buy the highest end (personally, I always buy in the $200-250 range and once I have paid ~$300), making the graph almost completely irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                      X