Radeon Linux 4.6 + Mesa 11.3 vs. NVIDIA Linux Performance & Perf-Per-Watt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Linux 4.6 + Mesa 11.3 vs. NVIDIA Linux Performance & Perf-Per-Watt

Phoronix: Radeon Linux 4.6 + Mesa 11.3 vs. NVIDIA Linux Performance & Perf-Per-Watt

Last week I published a 16-way NVIDIA GeForce performance comparison on Linux looking at the OpenGL performance evolution from the GeForce 9800GTX to the GeForce GTX 980 Ti / TITAN X, in getting ready to compare the long-term NVIDIA Linux performance to Pascal. This week I've done similar tests on the AMD Radeon side and compared these OpenGL performance and power consumption / performance-per-Watt numbers to NVIDIA.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael you need to get your hands on the new Doom to showcase speed. Not sure if there's a Linux version.

Comment

I never buy new gpus, but I think I am gonna do an exception with Polaris if things will go in the right direction

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        Michael you need to get your hands on the new Doom to showcase speed. Not sure if there's a Linux version.
        There isn't a Linux version, that's why I haven't ran any benchmarks of it.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah doom has some DRM which means it will never be ported on linux or osx unless they remove that.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            Yeah doom has some DRM which means it will never be ported on linux or osx unless they remove that.
            It has the infamous Denuvo protection. However, the new Homefront has it too, and a linux/osx version is coming. Unless it comes without the DRM, a port of the technology exists and would make DOOM possible too. Then it's all up to Bethesda.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

It has the infamous Denuvo protection. However, the new Homefront has it too, and a linux/osx version is coming. Unless it comes without the DRM, a port of the technology exists and would make DOOM possible too. Then it's all up to Bethesda.
              Don't hold your breath for Homefront, it seems to be at least as shite in performance as Arkham Knight so they may yet cancel that port

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Don't hold your breath for Homefront, it seems to be at least as shite in performance as Arkham Knight so they may yet cancel that port
                I know about the bad reviews. Still, if 1500 8-bit 2D platformers are accepted into the steam linux catalog without a question, Homefront has its place too. As long as they don't cancel it, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

There isn't a Linux version, that's why I haven't ran any benchmarks of it.
                  Yep found that out on Steam just before. Crazy they didn't do all platforms ready at release date. Are they in it for the business or not.

Maybe not such a big loss as people are saying it sucks as a game due to its console design curtailing, making PC owners sick in the stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post

Yep found that out on Steam just before. Crazy they didn't do all platforms ready at release date. Are they in it for the business or not.

Maybe not such a big loss as people are saying it sucks as a game due to its console design curtailing, making PC owners sick in the stomach.
                    They never said Doom would be coming to Linux. They haven't done a Linux port now in a while, before Rage, etc.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X