Windows Tests Of The GTX 1080 Tip Up, But No Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tegs View Post
    If you are using GNU/Linux to play non-free games, then why bother with Nouveau?
    It's about trust. I can lock down Steam and games with namespacing containerization such as Firejail, Docker, whatever (and I do!). Try doing that with the nVidia driver. Best you can do is virtualization with hardware passthrough, which means a separate OS install and a whole lot of hassle.

I don't like AMD's firmware blobs, but I'd rather take those over full proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
      If you are using GNU/Linux to play non-free games, then why bother with Nouveau? You are already putting non-free software on your system with Steam games, so why be so adamant about FLOSS drivers on your system? If you are committed to a free system, either go all the way with something like Trisquel or not at all. Otherwise, there is no difference in ethics from playing on your system versus Windows.
      there are a few reasons for that.
      mind, that I am not zealot, but a binary driver user.
      Security. Kernel is not compromised when open source is used, as people can find out what can cause problems, including security problems.
      It's much easier to limit app on the system, than a driver.
      Heck, if GPU drivers of AMD would perform on par with Nvidia binary, i'd dump Nvidia right now. We all make compromises. His threshold is higher than yours.

Comment

I thought the main point of Nouveau was to have a driver so when you install X desktop you can run it at native resolution reasonably well and actually do stuff before installing the official closed driver? So a backup driver, kinda needed.

Comment

Working...
        X