No announcement yet.

Windows Tests Of The GTX 1080 Tip Up, But No Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it is time critical to get one GTX 1070/1080. You can not buy the new cards and there are not even beta drivers for those cards "officially" available. For me the cheaper GP chips much more interesting as upgrade but most likely those will not hit the market too soon. The GM2 cards did not go lower than GTX 950 (GM1 without signed firmware not lower than GTX 750) so the complete simple dedicated upgrade market could be filled by next AMD Polaris series if somebody needs HDMI 2.0/HEVC 10 bit support. With Kaby Lake next autum basically nobody needs those cards for a new (Intel) box for multimedia use, not fully sure about HDMI 2.0 however but HEVC 10 bit should be supported.

Comment

Originally posted by spiridow View Post
      I'd love to see some article discussing the state of hardware decoding for HEVC Main 10 profile (10 bit) support with the GTX 1080.
      The new cards support 12- and 10-bit HEVC decode as well as 10-bit HEVC encode.

Comment

If you are using GNU/Linux to play non-free games, then why bother with Nouveau? You are already putting non-free software on your system with Steam games, so why be so adamant about FLOSS drivers on your system? If you are committed to a free system, either go all the way with something like Trisquel or not at all. Otherwise, there is no difference in ethics from playing on your system versus Windows.
        Last edited by tegs; 17 May 2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
          If you are using GNU/Linux to play non-free games, then why bother with Nouveau? You are already putting non-free software on your system with Steam games, so why be so adamant about FLOSS drivers on your system? If you are committed to a free system, either go all the way with something like Trisquel or not at all. Otherwise, there is no difference in ethics from playing on your system versus Windows.
          It's not about ethics it's more about having a software ecosystem.

Comment

Hopefully Asus, EVGA, et al. will be willing to play ball. I'm personally very interested in the GTX1070.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post

Well the grahics driver is closed software inside the kernel, a game is not.

Comment

Originally posted by inhuman4 View Post
                Hopefully Asus, EVGA, et al. will be willing to play ball. I'm personally very interested in the GTX1070.
                Asus is notoriously linux-unfriendly. I don't expect them to ever pitch in to Phoronix (have they?)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Asus is notoriously linux-unfriendly. I don't expect them to ever pitch in to Phoronix (have they?)
                  They used to a LOT, back in the early days.... But last products I received from them were around 2009. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=ASUS
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Very petty of NVIDIA to ignore you like this and also hold out on samples just because they didn't like some of your articles. I am tempted to give NVIDIA a piece of my mind on twitter, but I don't think it would amount to any.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                      Yes it's a pity they didn't send you one, but TBH, not every tech site or blog does get one. You should maybe consider improving the quality of your tests, respond to criticism and then contact Nvidia again, refer to the userbase you are targeting (how much and what kind of readers you have; tbh, I don't know this site's stats compared to other tech sites, obviously) and then not only ask for but instead really insist on samples. Of course you can only do this if you are in the right position, so first things first...
                      Hope this didn't sound rude or mean. It's just a suggestion.
                      Pretty much phoronix has really good numbers in United States and the World, most sites fall below 3millions so phoronix is highly ranked:

Comment

Working...
                      X