Windows Tests Of The GTX 1080 Tip Up, But No Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Because people will want to know how it performs... And eventually how it works with Nouveau.... So in many months ahead with all of the Linux driver articles I write, will hopefully cover the cost....
    Eh... if you're going to buy it yourself, I'd wait until nouveau has official support for it. By then it might not be so crazy expensive. Though I obviously don't speak for everyone here, I'm willing to wait. The test results won't really be that interesting until the R9 490(X) or GTX 1070 is released anyway. I think we all know that it'll be on the top of the charts by a wide margin, so there's not much to be excited about at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Eh... if you're going to buy it yourself, I'd wait until nouveau has official support for it. By then it might not be so crazy expensive. Though I obviously don't speak for everyone here, I'm willing to wait. The test results won't really be that interesting until the R9 490(X) or GTX 1070 is released anyway. I think we all know that it'll be on the top of the charts by a wide margin, so there's not much to be excited about at the moment.
      From the sounds of it what I was hinted at by one of the NVIDIA devs, it's likely to be a long time again before seeing Pascal signed firmware blobs.... Not any magical turnaround with the firmware yet :/
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

In the past I've always put this site into the whitelist of ABP.

Now with Pi-Hole the things are complicated.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Talos View Post
          In the past I've always put this site into the whitelist of ABP.

Now with Pi-Hole the things are complicated.

Any suggestions?
          Not familiar with it so not sure about workarounds.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Eh... if you're going to buy it yourself, I'd wait until nouveau has official support for it.[...]there's not much to be excited about at the moment.
            Yes, that's basically it

Originally posted by Talos View Post
            Any suggestions?
            You could still use a whitelist: https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/w...d-Blacklisting

Comment

Micheal I would just get a 1070 for the time being, its same card basically just slow version. Is the reason for people to be so very interested in ONLY using Nouveau, Wayland/Mir? or is it just people preferring open source drivers because?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Is the reason for people to be so very interested in ONLY using Nouveau, Wayland/Mir? or is it just people preferring open source drivers because?
                Personally, I don't have that much of an interest in nouveau, since it doesn't offer much practical (or rather, cost effective) performance for GPUs like this. Then again, I'm not interested in buying a 1080 either. But one of the reasons I come to Phoronix is to see how drivers have progressed. Most review sites do benchmarks once and never touch them again, even if there have been significant driver updates to improve results. Things get real interesting when you see open source vs closed source on the same hardware, because you can see where something wasn't optimized properly. Right now, the 1080 is so overpowered that the results would be boring. It's like "...and in this test, just like all the others, it is 25FPS higher than the Titan X and 75FPS higher than the R9 290". At least with nouveau results, you could see how the sheer power of this card can still be faster than older models, even on un-optimized drivers.
                Last edited by schmidtbag; 17 May 2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Michael can you confirm that this PR person still works at Nvidia? In the past you had an issue of not returning emails just to find out later that your contact wasn't working at that company anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                    It's not the same thing as ABP; you can only use these lists for whole advertising networks.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                      Michael can you confirm that this PR person still works at Nvidia? In the past you had an issue of not returning emails just to find out later that your contact wasn't working at that company anymore...
                      Oh I know he's still at the company, last week was just getting email from his press list about some Windows-whatever news and that as of this weekend one of the NVIDIA driver guys was trying to get an official answer out of him regarding samples for me...
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X