The AMDGPU Additions For Linux 4.7 Are Enormous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Dummies are using open source driver when amdgpu-pro is available.
    dummies are using closed driver when open driver is available

Comment

Originally posted by susnux View Post
      Does "VCE and UVD support" mean we can now use them to encode on Linux?
      I mean on windows you have access to them through the AMD Media SDK.
      So on windows you can boost h264 encoding by using the GPU on Linux I do not know a way to get data back from the gpu (I think VDPAU does not support this, only playback movies using VDPAU is supported I think).
      You already can.
      I wonder what's needed to use VCE with AMD hardware i tried to read about it but there wasn't to much information to be found.. Do i need to compile mesa with

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Most of the changes reported here have always applied to all GCN parts including APUs.

I don't know where this idea that we're only working on Polaris came from.
        thanks for the answer

Comment

Ok what about LiquidVR?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Most of the changes reported here have always applied to all GCN parts including APUs.
            I'm really interested in seeing this new hardware ship and especially the improved power management in the drivers. Which brings up the question, what is taking so long with respect to ZEN? Yeah I know you can't answer that but let's face it, letting the world know about ZEN so early before release can't be good for sales at AMD.
            I don't know where this idea that we're only working on Polaris came from.
            It is the welfare crowd from the democrats main line of support. The entitlement mentality if you will. Sorry if this sounds political but the posting seems to be a common result of being willfully ill informed and lead around by the nose for all of ones life.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              I'm really interested in seeing this new hardware ship and especially the improved power management in the drivers. Which brings up the question, what is taking so long with respect to ZEN? Yeah I know you can't answer that but let's face it, letting the world know about ZEN so early before release can't be good for sales at AMD.
              I believe the Zen situation is one of failing to meet timelines created by random people on the internet. As far as I know the project is still on schedule.
              Test signature

Comment

Still getting that amdgpu screen wobble at resolutions 'above' 1080p. Think its time I give up on this amdgpu idea, clearly its not going to be useful any time soon.
                Last edited by theriddick; 23 May 2016, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't it make more sense to base your decision on the behaviour of a driver build that has actually been tested & fixed for your hardware (and claims to support it) ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Given how long it takes AMD to release drivers these days. People don't want to wait that long, considering NVIDIA releases driver updates monthly (sometimes multiple times) under linux and also has ultra fast card releases coming out next month (for AIB vendors).

You gotta remember people using AMD hardware have been waiting years for drivers to get to NVIDIA performance level, to no avail. Can't blame people for being impatient with AMD!

In saying that these AMDGPU-PRO drivers are working good for my 390x, there is some tearing and minor screen wobble in certain situations but its quite bearable. I will likely manually put in monitor resolution timings some time, pretty sure that is whats going wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X