Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AMDGPU Additions For Linux 4.7 Are Enormous

Phoronix: The AMDGPU Additions For Linux 4.7 Are Enormous

More AMDGPU DRM driver changes have been queued up for the Linux 4.7 kernel merge window that's expected to open next week...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nux-4.7-Is-Big

Does Valve know about this?

I heard they were working on a Linux-based gaming OS. /s

Comment

Originally posted by NeptNutz View Post
      Does Valve know about this?

I heard they were working on a Linux-based gaming OS. /s
      My first thought when reading about the VCE polish was that Valve has been playing with it for Steam streaming (Nvidia NVENC support landed a couple months ago).

Comment

All the effort put into AMDGPU makes me wonder if one of the major console manufacturers are planning a linux-based console due to them all using(or switching) to AMD hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
          This AMDGPU support in Linux 4.7 doesn't include the imminent, experimental GCN 1.0 support
          Please do not take your dream for reality, see 870670#55:

Originally posted by bridgman
          Note that SI support in amdgpu is still "exploratory" at the moment, ie not yet plan of record.
          “Exploratory” never means “imminent”. And remember that CI support (GCN 1.1) in amdgpu is still highly experimental and disabled by default (and completely broken on some top-of-the-line cards like the R9 390x). So, saying SI support (GCN 1.0) in amdgpu is “imminent” is duping readers.

Comment

As a 390X owner, I feel so ripped off. Watching AMD put so much work into unreleased cards while I'm stuck with the radeon driver scraps is insulting. They insisted that Grenada was much more than a Hawaii refresh, yet here they are, treating it like some kind of ancient legacy chip. My next upgrade will be Nvidia for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
              “Exploratory” never means “imminent”.
              Actually it can mean both. Imminent in my earlier post referred to pushing out the current WIP code, not to it being "finished".

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
              And remember that CI support (GCN 1.1) in amdgpu is still highly experimental and disabled by default (and completely broken on some top-of-the-line cards like the R9 390x). So, saying SI support (GCN 1.0) in amdgpu is “imminent” is duping readers.
              There is a power management issue with newer Hawaii chips that hasn't been figured out yet, but is still being worked on.

Again, don't confuse "experimental" with "not maturing". The "experimental" tag is simply what lets it be in the tree but not enabled by default yet, until the last few issues are worked through and we can arrange a smooth transition from radeon to amdgpu for CI.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreakon View Post
                As a 390X owner, I feel so ripped off. Watching AMD put so much work into unreleased cards while I'm stuck with the radeon driver scraps is insulting. They insisted that Grenada was much more than a Hawaii refresh, yet here they are, treating it like some kind of ancient legacy chip. My next upgrade will be Nvidia for sure.
                Huh ? You know that your card is enabled by default in the hybrid drivers, right ? And that all of the recent progress/announcements relate to radeonsi which is used with both radeon and amdgpu kernel drivers ?

What is it in the amdgpu all-open drivers that you think you're not getting with radeon already ?
                Last edited by bridgman; 05-12-2016, 01:42 AM.

Comment

In fairness, there does seem to be a problem with some newer Hawaii chips and the open drivers.

Comment

No, AFAIK the problem has nothing to do with userspace drivers, just the kernel driver. That's where all the power management code lives.

Comment

Working...
                    X