Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AMDGPU Additions For Linux 4.7 Are Enormous

Phoronix: The AMDGPU Additions For Linux 4.7 Are Enormous

More AMDGPU DRM driver changes have been queued up for the Linux 4.7 kernel merge window that's expected to open next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by NeptNutz
    Does Valve know about this?

I heard they were working on a Linux-based gaming OS. /s
    My first thought when reading about the VCE polish was that Valve has been playing with it for Steam streaming (Nvidia NVENC support landed a couple months ago).

Comment

All the effort put into AMDGPU makes me wonder if one of the major console manufacturers are planning a linux-based console due to them all using(or switching) to AMD hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
        This AMDGPU support in Linux 4.7 doesn't include the imminent, experimental GCN 1.0 support
        Please do not take your dream for reality, see 870670#55:

Originally posted by bridgman
        Note that SI support in amdgpu is still "exploratory" at the moment, ie not yet plan of record.
        “Exploratory” never means “imminent”. And remember that CI support (GCN 1.1) in amdgpu is still highly experimental and disabled by default (and completely broken on some top-of-the-line cards like the R9 390x). So, saying SI support (GCN 1.0) in amdgpu is “imminent” is duping readers.

Comment

As a 390X owner, I feel so ripped off. Watching AMD put so much work into unreleased cards while I'm stuck with the radeon driver scraps is insulting. They insisted that Grenada was much more than a Hawaii refresh, yet here they are, treating it like some kind of ancient legacy chip. My next upgrade will be Nvidia for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
            “Exploratory” never means “imminent”.
            Actually it can mean both. Imminent in my earlier post referred to pushing out the current WIP code, not to it being "finished".

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
            And remember that CI support (GCN 1.1) in amdgpu is still highly experimental and disabled by default (and completely broken on some top-of-the-line cards like the R9 390x). So, saying SI support (GCN 1.0) in amdgpu is “imminent” is duping readers.
            There is a power management issue with newer Hawaii chips that hasn't been figured out yet, but is still being worked on.

Again, don't confuse "experimental" with "not maturing". The "experimental" tag is simply what lets it be in the tree but not enabled by default yet, until the last few issues are worked through and we can arrange a smooth transition from radeon to amdgpu for CI.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Dreakon View Post
              As a 390X owner, I feel so ripped off. Watching AMD put so much work into unreleased cards while I'm stuck with the radeon driver scraps is insulting. They insisted that Grenada was much more than a Hawaii refresh, yet here they are, treating it like some kind of ancient legacy chip. My next upgrade will be Nvidia for sure.
              Huh ? You know that your card is enabled by default in the hybrid drivers, right ? And that all of the recent progress/announcements relate to radeonsi which is used with both radeon and amdgpu kernel drivers ?

What is it in the amdgpu all-open drivers that you think you're not getting with radeon already ?
              Last edited by bridgman; 12 May 2016, 01:42 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

In fairness, there does seem to be a problem with some newer Hawaii chips and the open drivers.
                Test signature

Comment

No, AFAIK the problem has nothing to do with userspace drivers, just the kernel driver. That's where all the power management code lives.
                  Test signature

Comment

it looks like this forum is highly broken

[if the same post come from nowhere ten time, nobody will be surprised]

I tried to post that:

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

R9 290 is hawaii card like r9 390x and r9 290 is working fine with amdgpu:
                    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Windows-Linux

Newbies just lack skills using linux. Do not blame software or hardware, if you are dummy.
                    It's not because both R9 290 and R9 390x are from the same HAWAII family the second one will magically works well if the first one do.

R9 390x is broken on all-open stack too (see freedesktop#91880) (bad firmware issue), by broken I mean broken in upstream code, and of course broken in all current distros, but hopefully the work-around is easy (that's me writing the comment, and this is my tool). Also, this is the current state for amdgpu pro stack (yes, that's my comment too). Currently, the only way to get something displayed right (I do not mean having normal performance nor doing advanced stuff like opengl or opencl), is to use that another hack (yes, that's also my own comment).

About “newbie”, just read my join date, my first post there was a post about a radeonhd driver issue for an AGP card after I switched to radeon after AMD bought ATI and released the first open source bits, throwing away the nvidia cards I was using since years on linux at that time, yes back in time in this post I also talked about a Geforce 4 PCI. Are the 2000's years screaming at you now? So, if I say you the amdgpu support is currently broken, believe me, and I say it's broken on radeon too and developers say yes.

So, you're right, I lack skill because I have not the skills to rewrite the driver and fix the closed-source firmwares myself and I'm not an AMD employee.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Most distributions do not use mesa development version with newer opengl version, that is the problem. Also mesa opengl is slower than with amdgpu-pro. Dummies are using open source driver when amdgpu-pro is available.
                    If I say current upstream is broken, believe me. The current Mesa build I use is from May 9th (3 days old) from git, and the Linux build I'm running on is 4.5.3, built May 4th (6 days old), and I use firmwares that are not yet shipped by distros.

By the way, even if you don't care about my own experience, you're just trying to say you know this stuff more than bridgman. If your purpose was to not look like stupid you failed this time, try again.
                    Last edited by illwieckz; 12 May 2016, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X