NVIDIA Is Making A Big Announcement Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Nvidia has one driver that does the job on Windows, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD.
    Explain to me how a bunch of whiny users on a platform that has under 1% market share on the desktop can convince them a special driver is a good option for Nvidia?
    I, for one, am grateful they even offer a driver that performs as well as it does.

When they had to write new drivers (for their embedded chips), they went open source. But those were new drivers. Rewriting something that already works is not good policy.
    Ok... What are you trying to say here? I've said since my first post in this thread that Nvidia doesn't need top open up anything and can just as well continue what they're doing. Sucks if you're hard core enough to demand everything to be open source, but I personally don't care as I'm using Nvidia's binary blobs and I have no intention to switch over to the Noveau unless they offer better compatibility or performance.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      Ok... What are you trying to say here? I've said since my first post in this thread that Nvidia doesn't need top open up anything and can just as well continue what they're doing. Sucks if you're hard core enough to demand everything to be open source, but I personally don't care as I'm using Nvidia's binary blobs and I have no intention to switch over to the Noveau unless they offer better compatibility or performance.
      Not much, really. You said "they really don't care about people who don't want to use their binary driver", I tried to explain why that is - because it would be bad business, plain and simple.
      I'm the same boat as you are: happy blob user. I'd happily switch to a working AMD solution, but only if it can offer similar performance and prompt support for newer kernel and X server revisions. What a driver can do is more important (to me) than how it does it.

Comment

When they had to write new drivers (for their embedded chips), they went open source. But those were new drivers. Rewriting something that already works is not good policy.
        And note that they were working on complete driver rewrite recently to support KMS, PRIME and etc. That's why I expect that those efforts are aligned. It makes sense for them to simply open it for their new Pascal cards.

Comment

the big this is this: http://orderof10.com/humanityshallbeenlightened -> http://orderof10.com/nvidiaspecialevent

Just a attempt to create hype

Comment

4.5 more hours to go...

Will a new black-box gpu be released? Or is this hole nvidia announcement about something else?
            Last edited by triangle; 06 May 2016, 04:36 PM. Reason: time zone, oops

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Allot of people SMASH NVIDIA for not being open-source, but those people really should go buy a, say 390x, then go buy a 980GTX and have a go comparing/playing steam games (you know, like ARMA3,ARK,all the BIG ones, not the small fry stuff). I can tell you now that you will come back saying 'I didn't know it was THAT BAD' because AMD drivers are still terrible, even when you get them working with your favorite games they perform terrible.
              Some of us don't play paid games from Steam or anywhere else. For open games like 0ad, Scorched3ed etc I've had excellent results with AMD, even with five year old HD 6750 and HD 5570 setups. In other words open drivers work just fine with open games, just as open source software works well with open, non-DRM'ed media. I see a bifurcation here: open for free content, closed/paid for paid content.

Comment

https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia is starting now!

EDIT: its over now.
                Last edited by triangle; 06 May 2016, 10:25 PM.

Comment

380us for GTX 1070 - 8GB GDDR5 and 600US for GTX 1080 - 8GB GDDR5X

Avalaible may 27

Last edited by pinguinpc; 06 May 2016, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Amdgpu-pro is faster for OpenGL games than mesa.
                    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx
                    It is also listed as supporting Ubuntu 14.04.4 and comes with a rather scary list of known limitations and issues. I mean, no software is bug-free, but "Multi-GPU features are not supported" and "Only basic display and power features are enabled and validated"? Really?

Comment

It is also listed as supporting Ubuntu 14.04.4 and comes with a rather scary list of known limitations and issues. I mean, no software is bug-free, but "Multi-GPU features are not supported" and "Only basic display and power features are enabled and validated"? Really?
                      Did you read the "BETA" in the title, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X