No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Is Making A Big Announcement Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's 2am Saturday for me, not really a good time for a global audience. They should have at least had the good sense to make it accessible to people in Europe by doing it midday Saturday in America which would have been early evening in Europe.

That said, if they do reveal 1070/1080, one of those will probably be my next upgrade so I'm really anxious to see what they come up with. I'm currently on a 770 on my Windows box, so the next gen is a good time for an upgrade for me (the 970 wasn't a big enough bump). I hope they have some details about a release date, preferably not too vague.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      just another round of crappy "hostile to open source" hardware.
      Maybe the new feature is that it spontaneously combusts?
      Stop this trolling!
      Nvidia is no more hostile than AMD, and BTW this would be another round of great hardware providing quality OpenGL support.
      Last edited by efikkan; 05 May 2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
        Stop this trolling!
        Nvidia is no more hostile than AMD,
        NVIDIA --> closedsource blob, lack of docs, pissing off devs with their reclocking mechanics, unreleased firmwares(were extracted from the drivers eventually, and it would have been easy if they let it happen), unreleased signed firmwares(their countermeasure, these were released eventually, but very far from release day of the cards)...

AMD---> opensource driver and docs for a load of things, like all accelerators. Their drivers aren't terribly good but are improving FAST if you look at how total shit they were 2 years ago (both closed and open).

and BTW this would be another round of great hardware providing quality OpenGL support.
        OpenGL isn't "open", it is an API to control graphics.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 May 2016, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          NVIDIA --> ...pissing off devs with their reclocking mechanics
          So they have too advanced GPUs for you? Perhaps you should leave driver development to the pros then.

AMD---> opensource driver and docs for a load of things, like all accelerators.
          You guys are always "forgetting" the driver relies just as much on a proprietary firmware, so stop calling it open. Not to mention OpenGL support lagging years behind, poorer AA support, flickering and stuttering videos, and lacking support for most other technologies like multi-GPU, FreeSync/G-Sync, etc.

Their drivers aren't terribly good but are improving FAST if you look at how total shit they were 2 years ago (both closed and open).
          You guys said the same thing 6 years ago, and I follow this on a daily basis so I know the state of it. It doesn't matter if someone are improving when they still are lagging far behind.

OpenGL isn't "open", it is an API to control graphics.
          It is in fact open. And for the last decade there has been only one company pushing OpenGL forward, without this there would have been no modern OpenGL.

-----

Now let's stop polluting all threads touching Nvidia with this bullshit. There are some nice mid-range GPUs coming tomorrow, and one of them is going to be the next big seller, even among Linux gamers.
          Last edited by efikkan; 05 May 2016, 03:17 PM.

Comment

So they have too advanced GPUs for you? Perhaps you should leave driver development to the pros then.
            lack of documentation + complex mechanic = PITA.
            NVIDIA knows this.

You guys are always "forgetting" the driver relies just as much on a proprietary firmware, so stop calling it open.
            See, what matters here is that the firmwares are limited to what a firmware usually does, low-level hardware stuff. It's not like Intel's wifi driver where the "firmware" is in fact the whole driver.

Most of the meat is in the driver, which is opensource, and most importantly the interface with the kernel and with userspace (most likely points of breakage as the kernel and userspace evolve) is opensource.

Not to mention OpenGL support lagging years behind, poorer AA support, flickering and stuttering videos, and lacking support for most other technologies like multi-GPU, FreeSync/G-Sync, etc.
            OpenGL features are more or less there, it's the performance that isn't there yet.
            Flickering and stuttering videos are a thing of the past, I'm not giving a shit about dual GPU setups (I actually care more about laptops with 2 GPUs and the GPU switching), Freesync is better than G-sync anyday but it has nothing to do with anything.

You guys said the same thing 6 years ago, and I follow this on a daily basis so I know the state of it. It doesn't matter if someone are improving when they still are lagging far behind.
            Your fanboy attitude did interfere with your ability to look at things in a critical way. There was a change of pace, it's obvious.

It is in fact open. And for the last decade there has been only one company pushing OpenGL forward, without this there would have been no modern OpenGL.
            Might I remind you that OpenGL standard is made by more than NVIDIA, like for example AMD, that also has a windows-based market too, and there it does not suck at all.

Also, might I remind, you stupid dumbass, that OpenGL isn't more "open" than DirectX? It is just a API offered by the hardware vendor and not forced from the OS vendor, so of course you will have it everywhere the hardware runs, but does not mean it is "open" in any sense of the word.

Comment

Also, might I remind, you stupid dumbass, that OpenGL isn't more "open" than DirectX? It is just a API offered by the hardware vendor and not forced from the OS vendor, so of course you will have it everywhere the hardware runs, but does not mean it is "open" in any sense of the word.
              You have proven that you know absolutely nothing about what an open specification is, and that you have the manners of a rude child and is disqualified to participate in any serious discussion.

@Michael: kick out this troll.

-----

Let's get back to topic.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                Maybe they go open source like AMD?
                That's not big news to most people... 99% of people couldn't care less about open source drivers. Hell, the average Linux user doesn't care about open source drivers.

Comment

You have proven that you know absolutely nothing about what an open specification is,
                  No, I'm just stating that open specifications have jackshit to do with opensource code.

and that you have the manners of a rude child and is disqualified to participate in any serious discussion.
                  I'm very sorry to have displeased your majesty, but if you act pretty aggressively and say bs, you're asking for this.

@Michael: kick out this troll.
                  This place is basically un-moderated, if you start a flamewar you cannot just pull out by calling mommy (with all due respect to Michael).
                  Might I advise to not post bs next time? Or to calm down a bit the tones?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

- From market perspective, there are no market forces which would be forcing Nvidia to open-source their OpenGL drivers.

- Including parts of Nvidia drivers into the Linux kernel would introduce a significant lag: Support for new Nvidia hardware would arrive to Linux users months after the hardware is released (and the same amount of months after it is available in Windows). Closed-source drivers do not have such a lag problem. ... AMD's open-source efforts are a proof that the lag exists: it is very uncertain which Linux kernel release will gain support for Polaris GPUs (because of the centralized nature of Linux driver development (centralized = almost all drivers are in the Linux kernel git repository; out-of-kernel drivers are an exception rather than the rule)).
                    Is the hybrid approach of the AMD driver going to do anything about this ? I think not (I think it only adds features but the card has to be recognized by the opensource driver first), but I'm open to surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by drohm View Post

Gotta have a dream, right?
                      It's kind makes sense. It simplifies things for everyone, including Nvidia themselves. With them moving to DRM / KMS support, I don't think it's far fetched. But who knows.

Comment

Working...
                      X