Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluewormx
    replied
    Micheal, I really like this series of benchmarks. Regardless if we like it windows is the "gold standard".

I think phoronix would be better served cattering to benchmarking in general regardless of OS. Right now your readership is limited to linux users (1%)
    Try and reel in the windows users too!
    Keep a linux twist.

I also like that you have limitted your AMD/nvidia benchmarks to three cards each: high end; mid range; low end.
    Too many cards is too much work!

keep up the good work.
    Last edited by bluewormx; 09 April 2016, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Still not seeing a lot of interest in Vulkan from AAA game devs. Everything is DX12 talk. Yeah, yeah I know all about the "engines". But most AAA games do their own thing, and that's what drives the gaming industry, for better or for worse.
    Isn't a bit early?

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Very encouraging beginning for Vulkan+AMD+Linux!

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Still not seeing a lot of interest in Vulkan from AAA game devs. Everything is DX12 talk. Yeah, yeah I know all about the "engines". But most AAA games do their own thing, and that's what drives the gaming industry, for better or for worse.

Leave a comment:

• lakerssuperman
    replied
    I think one of the big things to take away is that when comparing the OpenGL and Vulkan results on the Fury you see almost a 30 FPS increase and a 3 frame difference between Windows and Linux under Vulkan. I would take that as a big win for the AMD side of things.

Obviously, the OpenGL performance could be better, but the new driver is in its infancy and I'm sure will improve over time.

Between the new driver, Vulkan performance and the unclear path forward with running Wayland on NVIDIA (it might amount to nothing, but at the very least its going to take time to sort out), my next video card may very well come from AMD and that is a very intriguing and exciting prospect right now.

Leave a comment:

• lvlark
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

My opinion is screw that! Benchmark what you play at and if they are trying to hide something, we will figure out what it is on our own.
    My opinion is - take it into consideration when you do benchmarks. Realise there's alot of things that could change the outcome once Vulkan usage has matured.

Leave a comment:

• PublicNuisance
    replied
    I'm excited for Vulkan overall but especially for what it could do for AMD gaming performance on Linux. Everything I see just gets me more pumped for future drivers and games.

Leave a comment:

• lvlark
    replied
    Originally posted by jf33 View Post
    Micheal, your judgement seems to be biased. Given the benchmark results, you can't say OpenGL had the "slight upperhand" vs D3D11 on Nvidia and at the same time call AMD's Vulkan "much faster" on Windows than on Linux.
    Yep, this. It's a small difference across the board, and even smaller for the high-end card.

Quite happy with these initial results. For one, Vulkan outperforms D3D11 (albeit not with a huge margin) and OpenGL (at least on AMD). For another, AMD Linux performance isn't as far behind as it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    The Talos Principle developer thinks it's a bad idea to benchmark highly GPU bound scenarios (4K) at the point.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/257510...48158145024457

800x600 would be better.
    My opinion is screw that! Benchmark what you play at and if they are trying to hide something, we will figure out what it is on our own.

EDIT: Why do I feel like it's 1998 all over again? The whole point in Vulkan is that there is no point in benchmarking the API.
    Last edited by duby229; 09 April 2016, 12:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    The Talos Principle developer thinks it's a bad idea to benchmark highly GPU bound scenarios (4K) at this point.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/257510...48158145024457

• Vulkan (and OpenGL, for that matter) are much slower at higher resolutions and visual qualities than DXs. So, as you become more and more GPU-bound, VLK/OGL will get slower and slower. Both us and IHVs are still in dark of what exactly is going on there, but currently shader compilers are no.1 suspects in this case. Will let you know how this unfolds... in the meantime, don't benchmark GPU-bound scenarios, just... don't!.
    800x600 would be better.
    Last edited by blackout23; 09 April 2016, 12:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X