X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• log0
    replied
    Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

lol, i guess you really haven't looked at current game engines and what do they provide

1. even if you require something dedicated like some special rendering, you'll be better off by just modifying available source of the 2/3 big engines. your time will be cut by 99/100
    2. now, making something meaningfully better than for example UE4, that i would love to see. do you even know how much this encapsulates?
    Nah, there are plenty inhouse engines used by big studios/publishers
    EA, Frostbite
    Rockstar, RAGE
    Ubisoft, Anvil

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    Originally posted by juno View Post
    Did I miss something? IIRC Chris Robers clearly said that they are supporting DX12 but he's interested in Vulkan.
    Previously he used to say that they will do DX12 first and then look into vulkan. But since vulkan was publicly released he started saying that there is a chance that they will actually do vulkan first if everything performs as expected. Also I think the fundamental cryengine refactoring work which they are currently doing to better align with modern graphics APIs would be common regardless of whether they go with vulkan or DX12.

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Does Star Citizen count? DOTA 2?
    Did I miss something? IIRC Chris Robers clearly said that they are supporting DX12 but he's interested in Vulkan.
    I expected DOTA 2 to be a day-1 release. Gabe should really spend some money again. Valve is not a great developer anymore, just earning money via steam. Plus, they seem to have "better" things to do currently with SteamVR...

UE4. free until 100k earned, then 5%. already has working vulkan, so far mobile
    Actually, Vulkan support is not really far in UE4. D3D12 (which MS seems to implement by themselves into UE) is much more mature.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Desktop gaming market is dominated by religious windows users. If they just knew that their os is from middle ages and better alternatives do exists, market would be different.
    You should really stop posting stuff like that when your standards are just too low (or you are just being ignorant, which is not better at all) to see the drawbacks.
    It has nothing to do with religion when there are facts. There is currently no better alternative for gaming, period.

Back to topic: Dr. Matthäus Chajdas (Developer Technology Engineer at AMD) made a nice presentation at GDC. Slides are on gpuopen: http://32ipi028l5q82yhj72224m8j.wpen...ns_learned.pdf
    Especially interesting from slide 1-15. He points out the state of current implementations and it's really easy to map Talos to stage 1 (or even state "0.75" as this used to have DX9, iirc), based on the statements from the developer. So everybody calm down, until we see "real" implementations

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by Herem View Post
    I think you're trying to paint an overly pessimistic picture of Microsoft's decline in market position in the gaming sector.
    They are still dominating the desktop gaming market though, Linux and Mac barely manage a few percent between them.
    That's not exactly true, although you may be lead to believe that by the Steam surveys. Take a look at this graph showing the number of game releases over the years by platform and you'll see that in the last 3 years there were about as many games released for Mac + Linux combined as Windows (ignore the 2015 numbers since they are incomplete):

http://imgur.com/gHLFbaM

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post

Is only a total waste of money if both of these factors are met:
    1. Your game is demanding enough to require a dedicated engine
    2. Your in-house devs are actually unable to make a dedicated engine that is "meaningfully" better
    lol, i guess you really haven't looked at current game engines and what do they provide

1. even if you require something dedicated like some special rendering, you'll be better off by just modifying available source of the 2/3 big engines. your time will be cut by 99/100
    2. now, making something meaningfully better than for example UE4, that i would love to see. do you even know how much this encapsulates?

Leave a comment:

• atomsymbol
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    ... PS4 ...
    Just an off-topic note: I am waiting for The Last Guardian to appear at longplays.org because of the game's extremely high cuteness factor.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post

2. Your in-house devs are actually unable to make a dedicated engine that is "meaningfully" better

Leave a comment:

• Herem
    replied
    MS no longer has an iron grip on the gaming market anymore. XB1 is losing to PS4 and PC, and Windows isn't as strong against Mac, Linux, and tablet OSes (not just for games but in general).
    I think you're trying to paint an overly pessimistic picture of Microsoft's decline in market position in the gaming sector.

MS never had an iron grip on the console market, so other than losing some market share to Sony not a lot has changed. They are still dominating the desktop gaming market though, Linux and Mac barely manage a few percent between them.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied

this is only valid for those who write their own engines. when you use bigger engine, API support comes by it self since you target engine api that abstracts renderers under the hood. and there is a fact that with how cheap engines are now, it is total waste of money to write your own.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Anyway, it's great to see the open source drivers are holding up so well. This seems very promising for the future.
    The userland is not open-source (yet)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X