X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

So, if amdgpu pro is named that way to distinguish from amdgpu all-open, do you mean pro is there for PROprietary?
    It's short for professional, as in the professional market and not the consumer market.

If you want to call it short for Proprietary, I don't think anyone will care but it will confuse people because it's only partly proprietary and partly open source.

Leave a comment:

• illwieckz
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    We call the open source stack "amdgpu all-open" internally which seems to help avoid confusion. So one radeon all-open stack and two amdgpu stacks - all-open and hybrid/pro.
    So, if amdgpu pro is named that way to distinguish from amdgpu all-open, do you mean pro is there for PROprietary?

Leave a comment:

• Brane215
    replied
    That'd be awesome. Kabini's are such cute thingies and I'd love to play with them on low level, if I just could get to the documentation beyound what's available in BKDG.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Thanks. The radeon stack is definitely what we are recommending for Kabini at the moment.

re: HSA, we haven't added Kabini support since Kabini doesn't use 48-bit addresses in the GPU to let the GPU access the full CPU address space. Only Kaveri and Carrizo have that hardware support today.

We are implementing an HSA subset for dGPUs (the driver part of Radeon Open Compute) as part of the Boltzmann initiative and may be able to make that work on Kabini in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Brane215
    replied
    I've tried both of them. None have worked with amdgpu kernel module. By that I mean that none of them worked with X.
    I have been using radeon in kernel for quite some time and just about the time I was about to try amdgpu, I have noticed that firmware files have changed, as well as gentoo's documentation about both drivers ( amdgpu and radeon).

This opened many permutations to try and I ended up with radeon with xf86-video-ati, like before.

WRT to HSA/OpenCL, it was just a thought - I thought I've read it somewhere. In any case, it would be nice to be able to try HSAIL stuff on Kabini.
    I've postponed it for better days.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    I decided to try it on Kabini ( Athlon 5350) on relatively fresh gentoo-spoources-4.5.0 kernel. What a load of crap. I managed to get graphical console, but X silently stopped - no trace why in logfile.

It took me an eternity to figure out that it really is driver, screwing things up. I only wanted to use it because of better OpenCL performance and support, only to find out that:

a. it needs HSA support in kernel, which is separate, independent option
    b. HSA doesn't support Kabini at present

mmm i compile my own stack on ArchLinux and gentoo and this never happens to me(i have a kabini Sempron 3850 among other systems), my guess is you have an issue with your compiler flags or you have a headers problem. I recommned you to use ArchLinux + LCarlier repo to have the an stable latest stack this way you don't have to deal with C/C++ compilation(Gentoo is not friendly to those aren't seasoned C/C++ developers while Arch is binary and rolling and awesome)

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    ooh come on!
    please don't post huge, meaningless off topic pictures and then even full quote the post that originally used it

@debianxfce: you know, forums are about discussion and asking and helping. If you dislike questions, you could easily just stay away. I have no hardware at hand and was interested, but thank you very much. Again, I was not talking about X at all. I was talking about boot problems and even pointed that out in my second post.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Yes you were looking fo that. X failed to start after kernel version 4.5-rc6 because of the small bug in the code above. With dvi-hdmi cable i had slow boot to the desktop from the grub menu, setting amdgpu.audio=0 in the kernel command line reduced booting time to 6 seconds, with vga and dvi-dvi cable it is 1 seconds. Hdmi-hdmi cable is on the way from china for testing. Missing DAL might cause slow dvi-hdmi boot.

I have used my custom fixed kernel 4.5.0 for one week with Kaveri and I did inspect the source of 4.6-rc1 and noticed that the bug fix is still on the way to official kernels that you find from kernel.org. So maybe I know. This forum is like the tv-quiz "do you want be a millionare?", where the competitor is not sure about the answer and asks help from the audience.

I'll see your picture and raise you this video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11...-millionai_fun

(Completely off-topic, but couldn't resist)

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    the non-binary just "amdgpu"yes, it is that easy.
    We call the open source stack "amdgpu all-open" internally which seems to help avoid confusion. So one radeon all-open stack and two amdgpu stacks - all-open and hybrid/pro.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I was just typing something similar - looks like Tonga performance was much better on your 16.04 tests.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X